• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worm drive hose clamps...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
QuietIce said:
Also note all the edges are a little "softer" on those compared to standard worm-drives ...

True. I checked it out after the comment about being nearly cut on the ones he got in. Not a sharp edge on it. Definately a cut above normal worm-drives

P.S. Woot! 500th post!

torin3 said:
True. I checked it out after the comment about being nearly cut on the ones he got in. Not a sharp edge on it. Definately a cut above normal worm-drives

Actually, I did cut my finger, not almost!

Several of the ones I got (which apparently are correct but two are defective) have sharp edges on the retention bracket. I'm tempted to take a rat-tail file to them.

To all those who posted in response to my concerns, thanks for all the help.

Well I have been using the standard worm drives from home depot, murrys/auto zone for years setting up modded fuel systems on diff muscle cars and have never had a leak due to the worm drive or damage caused by the worm drive.. that being said, I used the same stainless steal on my wc setup. As long as you get the right size and know when to stop tightening, all is good, at lest Imho.

trenchdog73 said:
Well I have been using the standard worm drives from home depot, murrys/auto zone for years setting up modded fuel systems on diff muscle cars and have never had a leak due to the worm drive or damage caused by the worm drive.. that being said, I used the same stainless steal on my wc setup. As long as you get the right size and know when to stop tightening, all is good, at lest Imho.
Until the last go-round I did too. My '72 Road Runner was put together with 'em and I can't imagine using anything else on any car. :) But I decided regular clamps just might be bad for thin-walled Tygon even though they're fine for regular tubing. So I got some of the smooth-band clamps torin3 posted - very nice clamps! I'm sure they won't chew into the Tygon.

IMO - Home Depot/Lowe's have crappy clamps compared to the auto parts store (O'Reilly), which are SS w/brass screws. They just seem more solid and easier to work with than the hardware store variety ...

QuietIce said:
IMO - Home Depot/Lowe's have crappy clamps compared to the auto parts store (O'Reilly), which are SS w/brass screws. They just seem more solid and easier to work with than the hardware store variety ...

The worst part of the hardware store clamps is that most of them seemed to be misshapen whenever I went to buy some. You would have to dig through the bin to find clamps that were actually circular shaped!

Deathknight said:
The worst part of the hardware store clamps is that most of them seemed to be misshapen whenever I went to buy some. You would have to dig through the bin to find clamps that were actually circular shaped!

Well my local home depot sells them in little baggys containing 6 or 8 (I forget) in the plumbing sectoin. I just got a pack when i put my rig together, they were all round and rather sturdy compaired to ones youd find in an auto store. Maybe its an area thing idk.

Ian Cherubino said:
Actually, I did cut my finger, not almost!

Several of the ones I got (which apparently are correct but two are defective) have sharp edges on the retention bracket. I'm tempted to take a rat-tail file to them.

To all those who posted in response to my concerns, thanks for all the help.

Ouch! Sorry about the cut. I usually wind up getting small cuts when I redo my rig, normall on the case or PSU when removing power plugs.

How much per hose clamp did you guys pay for these? I'm using the regular style hose clamps on my setup, though I only need them on 2 barbs. I only stayed away from these kind because I've heard they are a bit expensive.

Captain Slug said:
I love constant-tension spring hose clamps.
5324kp1s.gif

Alot.
No need to tighten them because you install them by using vice-grip pliers to open them up, then move them into place and unlock the vice-grips and they clamp down where you leave them. They won't cut anything, are easy to reposition, and are sold for $10 for 100. Just buy the size with an OD measure rating that matches the OD of your tubing.
My vote goes to these clamps as well, plus they fit great in between EK barb ribs. Second choice is the smooth inside models listed above.

wow, good thing i found the non-perferated ones. just called them up and they changed my order.

w00t.

Back