• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would really appreciate your thoughts on my first build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

olddude

Registered
My first post. I have been reading the OC forum for three months trying to plan my first build ever. I want to replace my wife's Dell 8250 that's getting a little long in the tooth and this is my pick at this time. I will use this experience to then build my own butt kicker later. :)

Usage: Surfs the net, email, eshops, watches some video feeds and MPG's of short durations. She can get very involved in using MS Office for consulting projects (IE multiple docs and spread sheets open, multiple programs running, emailing and researching via the internet all at the same time). Her gaming is limited to online Pogo games. No music, limited picture manipulation, no video production. We are networked and she uses a network HP printer. Her monitor is a CRT Samsung that she is happy with. She is on the computer a lot. Runs 24x7x365.

Goals: Quiet stable and cool, Less than $600 including OS. Capable of upgrading. Will not OC. Bang for the buck.

Anything you have to offer in reviewing this proposed machine is greatly appreciated. I am really concerned that the pieces are compatible, that they make sense in relation to the goals and usage, and any needed changes for any reasons. Oh... be gentle... I'm old. :cry: and I have moments of extreme stooopidity. :screwy:

Thanks for any help.

Proposed system:

Intel E5300 2.6GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor $70

Rendition, Crucial 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 Memory x2 $32

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard $95

Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB 7200 RPM SATA OEM $47

SeaSonic SS-400ES Bronze 400W ATX12V v2.31 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified
Active PFC Power Supply - OEM $59

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UB Black /Blue Aluminum Bezel , SECC
Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $55

GIGABYTE GV-R435OC-512I Radeon HD 4350 512MB $40

SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 22X DVD-R 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner LightScribe Support - OEM $31

Windows 7 OEM $?

Thanks!

Not a bad start, but if you really want bang for the buck, AMD is the way to go.

I'd say keep the HDD, PSU, and DVD you selected, and then go with the following parts

HDD, PSU, DVD - $137

CPU - AMD Propus 620 quad core - $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103706

RAM - G Skill 4GB DDR2 1066 - $80
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-MA785GM - $80
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128394

Case - Cooler Master Elite 341 - $45
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119193

Graphics - HIS 4670 - $75
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161287

That will be a very fast machine, for only $520 before shipping. It'll last a very long time. Windows 7 is going to be around $99 OEM I think. If you need to shave off a few more $$$, you could always lower the graphics card, as the 4670 is more than necessary.

not sure if your really set on intel or not.... though if your not and to modify james is suggestion, remove the cpu/mobo. use these instead IMO.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103681
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138155
reason being for the dual core is what you said she does. that kind of work doesnt require the need for a quad core, more ram IMO. as for the motherboard, it has 128mb sideport memory for the onboard video. meaning that the onboard video never touchs system ram at all, as far as i know. since the new AII/PII's are the same performance clock per clock to intel core 2 arch. amd is better price/performance.

if you really want to speed things up a bit and have room. Put in a SSD drive for OS/APPS, then another drive for storage only.

I would say you probably don't need a video card, although at $40 it might make the whole system feel smoother. Also I'd suggest more RAM if you're looking for places to improve upon. But that's easy to change, so I suppose it's the type of thing you could wait and see on.

First a big thank you to all who have replied so far.

I see most of you suugest going AMD, addressing the "bang for the buck" goal. I see clearly after you all pointed it out that for this type of machine the bang is with AMD. I chose Intel because my next machine will be an Intel for sure. Since I was using this build to learn on I "thought" I should stay with similiar boards and chips to gain experience for my big build. In fact that's why I chose a Gigabite GPU and the PSU as, in probability, those are the brands I will be using later. Am I being a little silly? :screwy:

Everyone one of you suggest I may have over shot on the MB and by going with a miniATX I can save a lot and not sacrafice much at all in either usage needs or goals. I am now leaning in that direction. Could you help me out with two quick questions though?
1. If we are not satisified with the GPU output of the on board GPU can we add a GPU card to it later?

2. As far as on board Video and memory use Evilsizer points out that the board he offered for consideration has 128MB of ram on board for the card. I take it most mini's don't have that feature?

Lastly I have waffled between 2 and 4 gigs of ram. At least two have suggested 4 may be better and worth the cost. Am I right in thinking that if I get 4 gigs I need to run win 64 to get full value? Or if I stay with win 32 I will get about 3 out of the 4 gigs to use? And lastly it seems to me that if I go Miniatx that I would be better off with more ram, specially with the onboard video issue, yes?

I know this build is piddly in comparision to what the big boys and girls are doing. But its a little scary for me right now. Old and clumsy are not great attributes for this new experience. :shrug:

Jamesman, I addressed most of your recommendations in my other response. But I was also interested in why you recommended the Cooler Master elite 341 over the COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 case. Was it the $10 savings or is there more to it than that?

Thanks

1. Yes, an add on card can be added later, and that's probably a good idea for now, considering the Dx11 budget cards aren't out yet.

2. A lot of the newer AMD 785G boards have side-port memory. It's just dedicated memory for the onboard video, so it doesn't take from your RAM. A good feature nonetheless

3. Yes, 4GB would be the way to go, with 64 bit. 64 bit and 32 bit are about the same price, and driver compatibility with 64 bit has improved greatly, so there is really no reason to go 32 anymore.

4. The Cooler Master 341 is cheaper and also Micro ATX, so it will be a bit smaller, and made to accommodate Micro ATX motherboards.

Back