• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WoW! GTX 980Ti, To water or not to water is the question....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ITAngel

Holy Mother of Earth, after running an EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified with stock fans, is making it tough to decide if I should even consider water cooling. :shock: This system is so quite compare to my previous graphic cards that is why I purchase all these EK/Magicool hardware to water cool the system for silence performance. I ran some performance and it didn't even make a noise what so ever. :attn: Now I have all this water cooling kit from EK, including the GTX 980Ti Block to use and can't decide if I should water cool it or not. :drool:

If you already have the stuff to do it, why not ?
Water will bring better temps and overclocking capability if you are into that scene.

could look at a 1.275v BIOS under water

If you already have the stuff to do it, why not ?
Water will bring better temps and overclocking capability if you are into that scene.

could look at a 1.275v BIOS under water

Cool, let me take a look at it and see, it suppose to have a mod bios and a Kingpin bios or something like hat installed.

Yea I feel that I already have the stuff maybe I should attempt it and see how it works, because everything that I have is by EK and the rads are by Magicool. Here is a list of the parts that I got so far for this project. My though were I needed to water cool the GTX 980TI because it would be loud but it is not and also the system is fairly quite. I wonder if the water cooling setup will be dead silence.

THE WATER COOLING PARTS

• PUMP: EK-XTOP Revo D5 PWM
  • CPU BLOCK: EK-Supermacy EVO
  • RESERVOIR: EK-RES X3 150
  • RADIATORS: 2x Magicool 240 Slim G2 Radiator MC-RAD240G2
  • GPU BLOCK: EK GTX 780Ti Classified Water Block (GTX-980Ti)
  • VALVE: 1x EK-AF Ball Valve (10mm) G1/4 Nickel
  • FITTINGS: 16x EK-ACF Fitting 10/16mm Nickel
  • FANS: 4x Cosair SP120 PWM AIR Series High Performance Edition
  • PSU PLUG: EK-ATX Bridging Plug (24 Pin)
  • TUBING: 4ft of Primochill Advanced LRT Clear Tubing
  • COOLANT: 2x Mayhems Pastel Red Pre-Mix V2, 1x Mayhems Pastel Ice White Concentrated

Cool,

Looks good :thup:

I would dump the coolant in favor of some PT Nuke and distilled water and have at it :popcorn:

Unless you're running the loop outside in the winter why would you want to put anti freeze in it?

It has all the corrosion protective stuff in it, and some prevention etc... Distilled water by itself doesn't bring that and over time it will cause corrosion. So I myself feel better if I have that in there, I don't care were it comes from such as Mayhems, Primochill, Hyperlube Super Coolant or Pentofrost etc... I plant to break the system up 6 months from now and inspect it just to make sure things is working okay.

Hey I am just learning from

http://www.overclockers.com/pc-water-coolant-chemistry-part-ii/

XD

We mentioned in another thread not to bother with anti-freeze! You can use it. It will not hurt anything, but why bother? Silver kill coil/biocide is the way to go.

Also, stay away from dyes!!!!

LOL,

yes we did IT ?

Did not realize ....... :rofl:

if you do use a die you are just increasing your maintenance regiment.

I was under the impression we have already beaten this horse to death

OMG man I thought we had this conversation already! Distilled and Biocide is all you ever need!

and were is the rad protection at?

- - - Updated - - -

LOL,

yes we did IT ?

Did not realize ....... :rofl:

if you do use a die you are just increasing your maintenance regiment.

I was under the impression we have already beaten this horse to death

The issue I am finding you guys say water and stuff to stop things from growing but were is the protection from the rad at? It will eventually start to corrode and then what? Blockage will happen. This is what I am not getting from people is water and this only but then I see picture of rads looking like an old chevy truck with crap growing on them due to the corrosion.

I am willing to trade 2-3 degree for some protection that is all. But maybe i should pull back from doing this project until something better comes along.

I guess my question is will the rad corrode with just Distilled Water and Biocide? If not can pictures or data be provided to support it. Thanks

Last edited:
In the kill coil and or biocide as we (all) apparently mentioned in the past, will stop any corrosion. But that corrosion is in a mixed metal loop. Perhaps you could look at the water cooling sticky thread(s) again? The one you linked is 12 years old. We have newer stickies, though the concepts are really the same.

Honestly man, you need to make a decision and stick with it... you have been all over the map swapping this, that and the other part. Its time to stop waffling and decide on something. :)

In the kill coil and or biocide as we (all) apparently mentioned in the past, will stop any corrosion. But that corrosion is in a mixed metal loop. Perhaps you could look at the water cooling sticky thread(s) again? The one you linked is 12 years old. We have newer stickies, though the concepts are really the same.

Honestly man, you need to make a decision and stick with it... you have been all over the map swapping this, that and the other part. Its time to stop waffling and decide on something. :)

I read that PT Nuke and Kill Coil is not good for my block. Which is why I am hesitant to use it. Beside my system is finally set if a matter of whether I go with water cooling or not and right now all is holding me back is the fluid, and information. Everytime I find a solution, something else hits it for example. Mayhems liquid, people complain about nano pastel not working. Back to square one again. people tell me don't use antifreeze to use water and SilverCoil or PT Nuke, and then I find that is bad for my CPU block. Again back to square one again. XD

And where did you read that.............?

As was mentioned in your other thread, PHN Nuke is the new product that is out. ;)

EDIT: Ok, I remember that from 2011... Is the Supremacy EVO Nickel plated?

You are right EarthDog, I will just choose one if is a bad choice I guess I will just learn from it. Thanks for everyone support I am done.

- - - Updated - - -

And where did you read that.............?

As was mentioned in your other thread, PHN Nuke is the new product that is out. ;)

EDIT: Ok, I remember that from 2011... Is the Supremacy EVO Nickel plated?

I have to look again one sec I may have picture with me

Here it is IMG_20160209_010751786.jpg

I would not be to concerned with rad deterioration.
water can only cause damage once. being De-minralized even lessens the impact on metals.
This theory is used in the radiant HVAC market as well. You can use straight steel piping for radiators and such.
Being in the HVAC industry I put this to the test on a daily basis with things much more important than cooling a PC

In a nut shell this will never be an issue barring you plan on using this radiator for 20+ years

The other side is if you want to use a dye or lube you certainly can, I simply requires more maintenance if you want to achieve and maintain maximum efficiency

Distilled water and Silver kill coil. All water cooling components should be Copper, brass, stainless steel or nickel. Quality tubing such as Primochill Adv LRT or rigid. No problem. If you want color use colored tubing or clear tubing with lighting. Dyes will gum up your loop over time and will likely stain your components.

You will only get corrosion if you use aluminium parts.

You are right EarthDog, I will just choose one if is a bad choice I guess I will just learn from it. Thanks for everyone support I am done.

- - - Updated - - -

I have to look again one sec I may have picture with me

Here it is View attachment 175285

I have the same cpu block. Just took apart recently for my 6month maintenance. Have no corrosion, growth and nickel plating is just fine. Using distilled and kill coil only. I usually don't even do maintenance every 6 months, I usually don't do it till well over a year against better judgement. But since I was taking the system apart to sell one of my 980 tis I decided I may as well see how things were doing.

Can I run my system with D.Water until I get the PHN Nuke/Kill Coil order? I know I can go to the pets store and buy something forgot the name of it. XD but if i can order PHN Nuke I can add it after.

Does the KillCoil go inside the tank or round the water line?

Thanks Angel for the picture.

I have read in other places that they have corrected their nickel plating issue (EK) later in 2011. You may want to reach out to EK and see if the block you have was after that run in 2011.

Does the KillCoil go inside the tank or round the water line?
Most just put it in the res...

Back