• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WoW! GTX 980Ti, To water or not to water is the question....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
In your other thread I put a link to it.

I should only take a few days

I recommend mixing the solution prior to putting it in the loop

Putting water in the loop unprotected would be a mistake IMO

In your other thread I put a link to it.

I should only take a few days

I recommend mixing the solution prior to putting it in the loop

Putting water in the loop unprotected would be a mistake IMO

Okay Witchdoctor Thank You and Thank You everyone. I will contact EK in a bit, in about an hour i will go home to have lunch and take a look at any serial number the box may have to provide it to EK if they ask for it. After that I think I will be safe to start as I already have the two gallon of D.Water to clean and fill it up. Just need the KillCoil the Biocide.

Does Silver Coils runs out fast or no? Wondering so I can order two if one is not going to be enough. Also, can I use something in them eantime before I add the Silver Coils to the water? At the worse case I can just flush the system and add the Silver Coils with new water. Maybe something I can pick up from Petco?

Okay I put my order for Silver Coils will be in tomorrow. I will start the loop and run the leak test tonight and replace the water add new water with the coil.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the KillCoil go inside the tank or round the water line?

I have mine coiled up in one of the tubes where it won't get past a fitting nor obstruct flow.bhard to see cause of the coloring of the tube but it's right in the middle of the pic.
image.jpg
And I'm not sure about the length a coil last although I have been using the same one for the past 5+ years. Hopefully some else can chime in on this and maybe help me decide if I should change it :p

Last edited:
coiled up in a tube...............not obstructing flow...how is that possible? :)

This is specifically why I put it in the top of my res. It may cause turbulence, but it is not in my tubing obstructing flow either.

coiled up in a tube...............not obstructing flow...how is that possible? :)

This is specifically why I put it in the top of my res. It may cause turbulence, but it is not in my tubing obstructing flow either.

That's what I did with mine as well.

It's like this:

image.jpeg

It came like that. I think most places will sell it that way.

Sadly I needed to cancel my order base on EK website and since they made the hardware I better stick to their requirements. :D

Clean and rinse previously used water cooling equipment before using it.
Never use distilled water alone as your main coolant! Pure distilled water offers no protection against biological growth or corrosion.
Always use market proven pre-mix coolant, such as EK-Ekoolant. This propylene glycol based coolant contains all the necassery biological inhibitors, acts as a surfactant and also offers lubricating properties which enhances the lifespan of the water pump. Besides the stated it also offers corrosion protection when used in mixed-metal liquid cooling loop.
Refrain from using strips of Silver (Ag), also known as "Kill Coil" with distilled water alone in your water cooling loop. Besides introducing another metal in the already mixed-metal loop with no corrosion protection, the concentration of Silver ions may not be enough to prevent or to suppress biological growth in the liquid cooling loop.
Refrain from using Copper (II) Sulphate (CuSO4) additive - common trade name "Nuke Cu" or "Biocide Cu" - due to it's nature to react with metals usually found in liquid cooling loop, especially radiators (Zn, Cu, Sn) as well as Aluminum (Al) thus promoting corrosion. Using CuSO4 also accellerates visually discouraging copper tarnishing phenomena.
Always clean, rinse and dry water cooling equipment prior to storing it for later use!

Thanks all, I am done with this research stuff.

All they say is not to use a KillCoil "alone" with distilled water. You shouldn't do that anyway.

If you use distilled water, you need two things:

1. Biocide or KillCoil
-AND-
2. Anti-corrosion additive like Feser Base

Those two will prevent both biological growth and corrosion in a liquid cooling loop. And yes, you still need the anti-corrosion additive even if you supposedly have all one metal in your loop -- you never know about the solder or the internal components in the pump and such. EK's Ekoolant (and other pre-mixed coolants) simply has both additives already.

In my first custom loop, I ran distilled water, a KillCoil, and Feser Base with all EK components (it was one of their EK-KIT 360 kits). I did no maintenance for two years, other than to add more distilled water to keep it topped up. When I built my next system I took the loop apart and there was absolutely no growth or build-up anywhere. I don't recommend going the no-maintenance route, but it does show that a clean loop with the correct additives stays clean.

Back