• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WTF???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

retsgtcas

This was my old system:

P4 3.0 Northwood w/ ZALMAN CNPS7000A-CU -> 3.3
ASUS P4S800D-E
ATI 9500PRO -> SOFT MOD 9700 351/290.25 w/ VGA Silencer
1 Gig Kinston Value Ram 400MHZ PC 3200
Antec PlusView1000AMG W/ 2 80mm exos fans, 2 80mm intakes and a 80mm in the window.

This is the new one:

Kingston KVR400X64C3AK2/1G x2
eVGA 7900GTX 512 Vid Card
eVGA 123-K8-NF47-AX nForce4 SLIx16
AMD 64 X2 4400+ Toledo
PC Pwer & Cooling 850W Power Supply

Programs are running slower now and 3dMark06 game me a score of 1525. Is the membory Im running too slow? If so, what memory can I use with this MB. I would like to use Corsair, but dont know what module will work with this MB.

Thanks for the help guys/girls

New install of XP w/service pack 2.

All drivers are from their respective websites for both MB and Vid Card. The RAM timing is Cas 3 and 3-3-3 there after.

Hmmm, I don't know what could be going on, but your memory shouldn't be the problem. A64 should give plenty of performance even with value RAM. Have you veried that everything is running at its proper speed (CPU, memory, GPU, video memory)? How do your temperatures look?

Everything is running stock. Nothing OCed yet. Temps are normal. It just takes an extra 2-5 sec for any program to boot up. I was told that the Mem was the problem and I should upgrade to something faster. I would like to have Corsair, but cant find anywhere anything that will help with the eVGA 123-K8-NF47-AX nForce4 SLIx16. All I can find is the NF41 MB and not the 47-AZ =(

Who told you memory was the problem? It's just not true as long as it's running at its rated DDR400 speed. Please download and run CPU-Z and post a screenshot of the CPU information.

Good friend of mine said that the bottle neck was the low grade Mem I currently have. Will post the CPU-Z as soon as I get off work and DL it.

Thank you very much for the help and quick responce

http://www.photobucket.com

Create an account there, upload the photos in jpeg format, then paste the

Hey you did it! Well, everything looks okay in those screenshots. The only thing else I can think of right now is the dual-core driver. Some programs don't play nice with a dual-core CPU unless you install the driver. However, since I don't have a dual-core CPU I'm uncertain of the specifics. I can tell you with certainty that it's not your RAM that's causing the poor performance. Getting better RAM with lower latencies will give you a very slight boost at stock speeds, but that's it.

retsgtcas said:
Hmm. Thank you for all the help, but if its not my RAM, why would 3dMark give me a 15** score? The CPU test runs +-1 FPS !!!
+/- 1 FPS in the CPU test is normal. However, the 15** score is not good for your video card. Could you do me a favor and download SuperPi? Run the 32M calculation and see how long it takes (should be in the neighborhood of 30 minutes).

Going slow? Overclocking is my only answer. :p
Also... your ram is pretty pokey, 3-3-3-8 sticks are dirt-cheap where I live.
You'll get a nice boost with dual-channel 2-2-2-4 if you do anything that's ram intensive.

Also, the AMD X2 4400 can be easily overclocked by about 100 mhz with a stock HS (if you have very good ventilation and mabe a fan sitting on top)

Shell said:
Going slow? Overclocking is my only answer. :p
Also... your ram is pretty pokey, 3-3-3-8 sticks are dirt-cheap where I live.
You'll get a nice boost with dual-channel 2-2-2-4 if you do anything that's ram intensive.

Also, the AMD X2 4400 can be easily overclocked by about 100 mhz with a stock HS (if you have very good ventilation and mabe a fan sitting on top)
Come on now Shell, did you even read the thread? :rolleyes: A 1500 score in 3DMark06 with a 7900GTX can not be attributed to value RAM.

I am assuming you motherboard is an SLI board from your first post. If so, which PCI-e slot did you install it in? What I am getting here is that maybe it is only running at 2x bandwidth if it was installed in the second slot.

KillrBuckeye said:
Come on now Shell, did you even read the thread? :rolleyes: A 1500 score in 3DMark06 with a 7900GTX can not be attributed to value RAM.
When I had (512mb x 2 dual-channel) of value ram in my computer (3-3-3-8) my score was about 5% less with one of my 1Gb sticks Instead of 1x2Gb dual channel. (now I have 1x4Gb :D)

PWatterson said:
I am assuming you motherboard is an SLI board from your first post. If so, which PCI-e slot did you install it in? What I am getting here is that maybe it is only running at 2x bandwidth if it was installed in the second slot.
I don't think you could fit that into a 1x, 4x, or 8x slot... but I wonder why a 16/8x slot would be going that slow. I can't set it to a 2x~ speed unless I set it to 8x with the minimum payload then underclock it.
But... CPU-Z shows that the interface is at full 16x...
Mabe you should get rid of your drivers if you're not useing the newest ones, If you're useing drivers from a disk they should work...

My 5700-E is whooping your 7900 right now, :-/ That's just plain wrong.
P.S. Update ze BIOS if you're going to SLI.

Well, at least on the DFI boards, when you do not have the jumpers set right, the first slot runs at 16x and the second runs at 2x. If enable SLI with the jumpers, both slots run at 8x.

Back