• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

x2 SLI with dedicated Physx card causing bsod 116 please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BigEv1984

As the title to my thread suggests, I am running into issues running x2 sli with my EVGA 550 TI 2gbs ever since I got a third one for use as a dedicated Physx card. I was able to pick up a third card for cheap so figured I would see if it would help on games with physx since I'm playing at 5760x1080 which is getting quite demanding from my cards...but to no avail.

I contacted EVGA, though they were unable to figure out the issue. They were thinking that either I had a failing card, or a failing +12v rail on my power supply. I swapped all three cards around and ran into no issues in that regard, and I have been able to game with all three cards in though BSODs have been occuring on a few times a day basis. I have experienced it with and without overclocking my cards, and it has only become an issue since adding the third card.

To narrow down some of the basics, I have checked voltages in bios...and as I had expected they are stable. (My psu is only 3 months old so I would hope as much). I have updated all drivers related to my gpus, physx, and my motherboard. My first two cards are connected by an sli bridge with the physx card just integrated via the motherboard. As I said previously I have run into the issue with and without overclocking my cards. I have also tried adjusting the cards voltages from 1135 to 1150 to make sure they just weren't being given enough juice.

Initially the problem which always happens either during a gaming session or benchmarking I would lose connectivity to my monitors (they would enter into powersaving mode) and the computer would become unresponsive only fixable by a reboot. To see what was going on I disabled it from restarting on a failure so that I could see the stop code which repeatedly has been 116. Upon reboot there is a great deal of purple artifacting, which to fix I must then reboot a second time and have no issues thereafter until another bsod.

Ultimately I plan on upgrading to x2 670/680 configuration sometime in the near future but figured this would be a cheap way to get a little more performance in the meantime on games that utilize physx...however it has just turned out to be a total pita. I'm hoping someone is able to help so that I can get this thing running stable. Below is a link to my system and my psu...any feedback is appreciated.

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2443961
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371050&Tpk=antec 900 gamer

Get rid of the dedicated PhysX card is my suggestion. You dont need it even with two low(er) end 550ti's...

Are you on a single monitor?

Ouch, you need more GPU (2 670's would be perfect). I would just sell that 3rd card personally and enable PhysX on that SLI until you get the 670's/680's.

As I had said in my initial post, I plan on upgrading to sli 670/680s but I wanted to run with this in the meantime until I do that. Once I plan on making that jump I'll be selling my current 3 cards

Back