• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X2 USERS: REMOVE THE IHS! then O/C :-)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

X2beach

Registered
I found it hard to beleive myself, but the IHS doesnt make good contact. I am running prime stable now at 2.7 that with 300ht*9

For your viewinng pleasre

Attachments

• decap.jpg
    decap.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 2,470
I doubt I will, Running a Koolance cpu-300 block. so it has the correct tensionon there. and was easy to mount

Thanks, there are a few people doing it.. It really does help alot..

Very cool. A lot of people have found that removing the IHS will help with overclocking with past A64s. I take it the Koolance block doesn't interfere with the cam box? Some people have had to sand down their cam boxes when they use a DTR mobile or remove their IHS so that their waterblocks/heatsinks wouldn't interfere with the cam box & hinder cooling.

Nope.. Its a perfect fit.. its amazing how much better the cooling is. not to mention I can run 2.7Ghz stable.. Going to try 2.8

the other day i ruined my 3200 winnie cause of removing the IHS. Be very careful when applying the heatsink or block. U may think ur not goin to break the core but it will jsut happen like it did to me.
U cant be careful enough with it removed. I have been handling cpu's for over 10 years and never damaged a single one till last week.
It is so very fragile. I think they put that thing on there for a reason. Yes my clocks did go up but sitting here today it wasnt worth it.
Now im on a crap venice that wont do over 2350 mhz and i would kill for my dear winnie back.

RIP Winnie

ok here is a few thoughts about this that cross my mind.

1.you will gain lower temps and get higher oc's,this has been my my finding.
2. you will crack,chip, or otherwise damnage your core. this will happen with aircooling,h20 and phase change.i dont give a crap how carefull you are or how good you thing your mounting mechanism is it will happen. this doesnt mean it will die,loose oc or malfunction but these things do happen if chips are large enough,cracks=death.
3.just removing the HS can cause death if you dont do it correctly.the organic packaging is very soft and scratches too easily,that exposes copper interconnects = death if cut and if you see em they useually are cut and damnaged.
4.forget rma or warrenty,not that we really care but also forget high resale value.
i resell and seelling chipped cores is a pita.
5.to the unexperainced or rushed its easy to not get good contact or even contact at all with the cooling your useing without modification to either the cpu heatsink carriage or the cooling itself.

so i see one line with benafits and 4 lines of consaquenses.
you do the math and see if its worth it,in some cases yes its worth it.
i did it on a 754 sempron and when i was done after 3 months it looked like a 3 year old beaten up t-birds core.still worked and oced fine but i lost some $$$ in its sale.

i wouldnt personally do it to an X2 until ive run it a few months and felt bored.

DEATHSTAR13

good points, this is not for everyone thats forsure. I remember cracking a few athlonXP :)

I thought about doing it to my X2, but I don't think so.. I'm not going to risk $600 for a few degrees....

Running stable now at 2532mhz.. I hit 2700mhz yesterday(Saturday) but one of the cores wasn't stable.. I need to put liquid cooling back in to take care of the heat...

I got an evercool wc-202 system that I just took apart to see what tweaking can be done to it, the pump runs rather slow, and it could use with better fans.... I am going to use the HFE fluid in there and see what I can do in temps.....

I still have the DD maze4, dd12vpump, and black ice, but the maze is for socket A and I can't figure out how to get it to work on skt 939 without buying a new block..

HMM.. I wonder if I can just get the top acrylic part for it for skt 939... that is the only difference I see in the pics...

to get stable at 2532mhz, I had to bump the core up a little in voltage, 1.42now temps are close to the same at idle, only about 1c over stock, but when i run p95 on both cores it shoots up above 60c, and I don't like that...

Back