• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, NB Temps/Voltage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sweisdapro

Hi, this will be my first post here.
I've recently aquired an AMD R7 1700 and an MSI X370 Gaming pro carbon motherboard
however. I am not really satisfied with my overclocks, I can hit 3.8-3.9GHz and run multiple benchmarks, and continous daily usage, but when I fire up a stress test (aida64 or CPU-Z) I notice most temps stay normal, except the one labled as motherboard in AIDA64, or Mainboard in HWMonitor, it just rises up to about 80 degrees before the system, sort of, crash, the screens and peripherals goes black, but mobo-lights and fans still run.
I've found that it should be the NB that is the displayed temperature, and I've found the Voltage in the BIOS, but I cant get it lower than 0.975V while being able to run benchmarks, and MSI Command Center is displaying the Voltage as almost 2V.
Any Ideas are appreciated

I highly doubt the NB/SOC has it's own temperature reading. What you're seeing could either be VRM or possibly the chipset temps.
It would be best if you could give us a full list of your parts/cooling and case set-up. That should help in determining what's going on.
Typically the "black screen" with the Ryzen CPU is just not enough voltage to the CPU

My setup is:
CPU: R7 1700
COOLER: Fractal Design Celsius S24 (top mounted rad with 2x Corsair ML120 fans)
MOBO: X370 Gaming Pro Carbon
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V @3200MHz Cl14
GPU: Gainward GTX 1070 Phoenix (1691core/2202mem)
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO
HDD: WD Black
FANS:2x corsair ML140 fans in the front
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750W
CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C

One thing with water/AIO cooling is it takes airflow away from the VRM area that an Air cooler would normally supply
Is the rad in the top pulling air in or blowing air out of the case

I've been using HWInfo 64 to monitor the temps/voltage of the new Ryzen platform . It just seems to be more accurate IMO. Could you back the multiplier down a bit and do a short stress test maybe 20 minutes and capture a screen shot while it's running so I can see the numbers

No worries. Would like to narrow down what's getting hot so we can find a solution
Do you have the M.2 NVMe dive under the graphics card or in the bottom slot ? You might want to drop it if you do

It's currently under the graphics card, but it has never given a reading over 60 degrees

Not that it's overheating but there is a lot of heat being produced right net to the X370 chip which id under that heat sink

Ok, I think I've found the solution, and it is kind of embarrassing...
I had changed the CLDO VDDP Voltage, thinking it was the DRAM Voltage (missread the alignment...)
changed it back to auto and it is noticeably cooler XD
Thanks for the help though, I'll be sure to come back here next time I'll need help with some overclocking :)

Thanks for the follow up Sweisdapro and you're welcome anytime

Back