• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

x58 and memory upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Johnny5

I have an older x58 Rampage III Extreme http://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/RAMPAGE_III_EXTREME/ with about 6GB of RAM in it and I want to give it an upgrade. I run several VMs at a time and I'd like to be able to give them each more memory. I also have an 1150 mobo, and if I ever chose to retire this box I'd like to use whatever memory I have purchased here as an option there.

So I'm curious what type of compatibility options I have with the newer dual channel or quad channel kits? I have 6 slots, the manual says if this:

4 DIMM
: Supports four (4) modules inserted into the
orange
slots (A1, B1 and C1) and the
black
slot A2 as one set of Triple-channel memory configuration

So if I bought a Quad channel kit, would it work to fix three of them in a Triple-channel configuration?

I'd like to get up to around 12GB, but 16GB seems to be a better deal (comparing the triple channel kits still around and dual or quad channel kits). I want to be giving each of the VMs I'm running 1024-2048 comfortably, and sometimes I run up to 4 at a time.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Generally every quad kit should work. There is also big chance that 4 sticks are going to work in triple channel. I don't remember slot config but I think it was 1,2,3,5 ( counting from 24 pin power connector ).

In theory this board can work with 48GB RAM but that's unofficial. I was able to run 24GB on my board and it was working with 3 different dual channel TridentX kits based on Samsung IC. 2x8GB was working on my board too but I'm not sure how IMC is going to act with 3+ sticks ( I had only 2 when I was testing it ).

Even if you won't make 4 sticks to work in triple channel then I think that 16GB in dual will be better for VM.

Best for X58 boards is 1600-1800 memory but I would look for some better sticks as newer platforms like higher clocked memory. TridentX series is pretty good and most of current kits can make 1600 CL7, 1866 CL8, 2133 CL9 or 2400 CL10. 2400 kits are generally slightly better while there is no guarantee that lower kits will make 2400. Still all of these kits are running at pretty tight timings so offer higher performance than most other memory series on the market.
Actually almost every memory on the market will be good but I'm just saying what is best at the moment , especially that TridentX kits aren't really overpriced.

Thank you for the response and suggestions. I'm glad to have heard from someone who has used this board.

Back