• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[X58 Mobo Recommendations] - Just obtained 2x Xeon E5520's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shanno

I just obtained two Xeon E5520's from a server upgrade which replaced them with better CPU's. I was wondering what motherboard the community would recommend for the $200 - $300 price range. I've had my eye on the EVGA SR-2, but I really don't want to sell my first born to get one. I'm open to building two separate machines, so the boards don't have to be dual socket. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Shanno

In this case any X58 board will be fine. I liked Gigabyte UD3R/UD4P series. ASUS ROG were also good. Generally Gigabyte or ASUS... maybe also EVGA.
I wouldn't buy MSI, Biostar or ASRock based on X58 as nearly all these boards had problems with power section.

I run two L5520s in a Supermicro X8DTE that I got off the classifieds. Runs great, can't complain. I'm not sure if it's on the ESXi whitelist, but I use Proxmox has a hypervisor and I have not had any issues detecting hardware.

What are you looking to do with the computer(s)?

I'm just wanting to upgrade my current build which is still limping along on the old 775 Yorkfield. I would just drop some money on a new i7, but I don't want to just throw these procs away. I will do some overclocking but nothing extreme.

Back