• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

x800 volt mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

P4HTOC

Registered
i have pencil modded my x800 at 1.7 core voltage. Is this voltage to high or too low for a clock of 585mhz?

1.7v seems a little high- what sort of cooling are you using on it? My card begins to lose speed once I go above 1.6v on air.

Your like me. You need alot of voltage for a mild overclock. Its tragic indeed. Whats your 5v rail at? I didnt see my best OC results until I cranked my 5v rail up to 5.35v. I havent even seen how MUCH higher it will OC, I just know it will go higher than it used to :D

Right now i am using the stock cooling (ATI reference cooler). I am thinking of mouting the Thermaltake Giant III on my card. Seems effective? Dual Heat pipes.

For the 5V rail. I'm not quite sure what its at... :eh?:

My idle temps are actually quite high. Default voltage: 38C; @1.7 VCore: 52C

if you want to keep the card long id lower the voltages down a bit.

your best bet would be to keep it under 1.55 or so on stock hsf and thats with 100% fan.

if you had water id say run the 1.7v all day but as it is now your idle temps are about 10c higher than my x800xtpe load when i had 1.75v on it and the hotter you run your card the quicker it will die on you so you might want to weigh the heat of your card with the results of the clocks your getting from the extra voltage over 1.55v

what kind of load temps are you seeing after gaming for awhile?

have you used a program that monitors the core temp over a period of time like rivatuner to see how hot it can get in the middle of a game or 3dbench?

My highest recorded temp in Halo (1280X1024 everything on) is 91C. Totally crazy isn't it? Need better cooling...

P4HTOC said:
My highest recorded temp in Halo (1280X1024 everything on) is 91C. Totally crazy isn't it? Need better cooling...

Wow. I mean my voltmodded x800pro at 1.7volts was hitting 38c at full load and I started to get a little worried. I would really think about dropping those volts until you can get some decent cooling on that card.

You could almost boil water on that thing :eek: .

hehe 3dmark03 shows 13,581 not bad for a p4 system, I suppose

91C is way too hot, keep the load temps under 60C. The giant cooler is junk IMO, get a dynatron 1U copper heatsink and drill 2 holes in and mount it on the card, thats the best air cooling you can get.

-CaT

Back