• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

x800pro or x800xl

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'd say the x800Pro, that x800XL is WAY more money, and it seems like it's that much more just because it has VIVO which i'm guessing you won't be using alot. And compared to the XL, the Pro's clocks are ALOT higher for alot lower of a price, but then again, I'd like to know if tey make an XL that doesn't have VIVO and i'd like to see it's price, but the dont have one on NE

BTW u gonna OC it?

Last edited:
Just a lil. I usally run the Omega drivers and OC through radlinker. Nothing major.

Yeah in that case, if u can't find an x800XL that doesn't have VIVO and is alot cheaper than the x800Pro, than I'd buy the x800Pro, since hte clocks are MUCH higher and the price is alot lower.

hey Rat, since I dont know a whole lot about the XL compared to the Pro (and i just realized I completely forgot about pipelines), what exactly makes the XL superior to the Pro at stock speeds?

16 pipes vs 12 pipes. The one good thing about the X800pro is overclocking potential. It can overclock on the core much more than the XL without a voltmod. Since the person interested will only mildly overclock then I'd go with the 16 pipe XL and newer architecture.

LOL fighter is right, i was looking at the wrong one...heh oopsies damn IE, doesn't tab

BTW rat thanks for the info, didnt know that.

Fighter2a said:
That XL doesn't have VIVO.
What is the importance of having VIVO? The XL card in the Newegg add isn't VIVO either and I don't believe the person interested in this has stated that VIVO is necessary.

Also the XL doesn't need to be connected to power and the pro does. Don't know if that matters to you. I hate having to connect my video card to my power supply just b/c it clutters my case more.

Yeah, the architecture or somehting of the PCI-E helps it feed enough power through the PCI-E thingy so u dont need a connector to the PSU, i've always thought that would be helpful but I still have a 9800Pro :)

Fighter2a said:
Also the XL doesn't need to be connected to power and the pro does. Don't know if that matters to you. I hate having to connect my video card to my power supply just b/c it clutters my case more.
Thats good to know, I just ordered a X800XL (along with an entire new setup) this morning and have not messed with any of the newer cards, I still have a 9500pro so I would have been looking for a power connector also. I'm hoping to do a little first time video card overclocking also. :cool:

i just bought that exact x800 pro from newegg and i love it. right now im running it at an initial overclock of 575 core 550 mem completely artifact free. i havent really had enough time to tweak it, so im sure ill be able to squeeze a bit more out of it before i replace the heatsink.

i got a cooler that came bundled with a 1.4 thunderbird that i think will work great for it.

Senater_Cache said:
the x800 is my vote simply because
a: It can overclock better, and maybe as he becomes more experienced he will want to overclock, and
b: That x800pro VIVO can be modded into a x800 XT PE fairly easily.

NO the PCI-e x800pros do not unlock due to the laser cut bridges.

I think the x800pro is probably a better card becuase its a crippled high end card that scales very well, instead of mid range card that once frozen might hit high numbers.

Awesome, thanks for the help. I didnt get a chance to check back and I already ordered. I went with the x800pro. Im going to upgrade when the new generation cards come out, so I should be good untill then.

It was a hard choice. More pipes? or Higher clock and mem speeds? If u ask me, pro just sounds so much cooler then xl

Back