• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X99 First ever water cooled build. (Pic heavy)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok so had some time to bed it in and kind of work out the kinks in the system.

Pros:

• Fast as hell (*shock*)

Cons:

• Case has no sound deadening and is somewhat loud because of it.
  • PWM Fans...... also kind of annoying, though this could be a combination of things. When the PC boots, they sit on 100% for a fair while, which is all of the loud in the world. Then once in windows, by default, they do alot of hunting (not sure what to call it other than that since it's the car term for rpm increasing and lowering). Only solution I've found is to manually set up a fan profile for each fan in the ASUS software to have the RPM fixed, at say 900 RPM, with a step up to 100% @ 75C. This is quieter, but there is still some iffynes....... No idea how to make it quieter, I guess these fans are just loud :(
  • Boot time is long as hell, like 2:30 sometimes. When I first turn it on there is a black screen for about 30 sec, which from reading around I think is a memory test of some kind. But after that it just sits on the ASUS splash screen for ages, then when it hits the Windows screen, it boots in a few seconds.

Other than that, I've been screwing around with the OC, since the ASUS one seemed random at best as to what it wanted to do, and what voltage.

Manually I've ended up with XMP on, 1.35V set on ram, 1.375V on CPU and 4.4GHz, as the base OC it launches with. On desktop it's fine with 4.6GHz, but that takes 1.475V (which is still less than the ASUS OC had done on 4.4 Auto).

Not sure what sort of voltage is actually too high on these CPU's, but it's not getting hot or crashing etc......... so no idea. I could be doing it entirely wrong too, not really sure.

Some results though:

Cinebench

Cinebench.jpg

Firestrike

Firestrike.jpg

Firestrike Extreme

Firestrike2.jpg

Pretty happy with the results, especially for reference 980's.......... bring on the 1080Ti's.

Any other tests I should check out? Also........ is that voltage way too high?

4.6 OC.jpg

Back