• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X99 MOTHERBOARDS NEED ADVICE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mikesamo

Hi forum I picked up 16 gigs ddr4 2666 ram and I have plans for 2 way sli in the future but at the current moment I am using a single titan x card .
I have a 5820k that I picked up from silicone lottery. so down to my wants and needs
I am after a black and white color scheme. I want grade A overclocking motherboard
6 sata is enough for my needs
. I need support for 3 way sli because each card eats up dual slot . I need some space between the two for better cooling.
I am thinking of the x99 pro but the price tag is too hefty. something between 200 and 300 is appreciated

I dont see the need for full caps or shout mode on the title.

That said, your only option is with Asus. They have black and white themed boards, and they space GPU one and GPU two with a bigger distance.

Asus also boast about the extra pins in the V3 socket for overclocking.

I currently have both Asus and MSI, but have yet to try the Asus, as the slots for the GPU's dont suit my liking.

I have one X99 Krait at work and it runs in small server 24/7 for last 3 months without issues. Simply I can't complain.

My bottom end MSI has also been solid runner for that matter, but it still wont leave that extra slot hes asking for, only Asus has that with black and white.

If you wernt in the states i would sell you the asus i got. Cos i doubt i get to use it.

It doesn't? Seems like there is plenty of space between PCIe 1 and 3...

I'm confused though at the OP's needs. He mentions each card takes up 3 slots, but he has one card in his signature and it only takes up two slots... There are not many 3 slot coolers out...

It doesn't? Seems like there is plenty of space between PCIe 1 and 3...

I'm confused though at the OP's needs. He mentions each card takes up 3 slots, but he has one card in his signature and it only takes up two slots... There are not many 3 slot coolers out...

We are not reading and understanding this in the same way. I am sure you meant to say 2 slot and not 3 slot.

That said, he said the cards take up dual, he says he wants 3 way support, and plans Sli with his Titan x. Then he says, he wants space for cooling.

That means, that sticking 2 cards into sli with the MSI boards leaves no space for cooling. Going with the Asus will leave 1 slot.

Im reading what he writes and coming up with the best options. I know that what he wants it possible with the MSI, but the key is the extra slot for cooling. Thats how i read it.

Yes, I meant 2 slot...my fault there. My advice remains unchanged though. ;)

The Krait seems to fit that bill... one in the top slot, which would cover the second PCIe slot (barely), then there is space between the second slot and third. Dual slot cards would have around an inch+ gap between them on the Krait.

EDIT: If its a reference TitanX (are there others?) then it won't even cover the second PCIe slot in the first place so there is plenty of room. Typically there isn't a gap, this provides one just like any other ASUS board, no? Which board(s) are you talking about that have more space... and why would more space be needed? People have gotten away with NO space between them (not optimal), so dual slot spacing is fine.

Last edited:
hi guys. yes I need only 2 way sli but I want some space in between the cards which is why I need a board with 3+ sli support. I'll read about the msi krait .

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I meant 2 slot...my fault there. My advice remains unchanged though. ;)

The Krait seems to fit that bill... one in the top slot, which would cover the second PCIe slot (barely), then there is space between the second slot and third. Dual slot cards would have around an inch+ gap between them on the Krait.

EDIT: If its a reference TitanX (are there others?) then it won't even cover the second PCIe slot in the first place so there is plenty of room. Typically there isn't a gap, this provides one just like any other ASUS board, no? Which board(s) are you talking about that have more space... and why would more space be needed? People have gotten away with NO space between them (not optimal), so dual slot spacing is fine.
the sli is for pascal in 2016 .
most likely a classified edition acx card . if notsomething of the same thickness
UPDATE the msi Krait looks absolutely gorgeous. shame it doesn't go on par with the x99 pro in terms of looks .
what's the downside to krait that makes it a 100 dollars cheaper?

hi guys. yes I need only 2 way sli but I want some space in between the cards which is why I need a board with 3+ sli support. I'll read about the msi krait .

You keep talking about "some space" but yet the Krait fits the bill, this is confusing me. What _do_ you want?

Asus x99 ( i do believe the photo is of deluxe?) non the less slots sit the same on all the black and white asus boards. SLI cards (dual slot cards)
X99-DELUXE-1.jpg

MSI x99 Krait with SLI cards (dual slot cards)
MSI-X99S-SLI-Krait-Motherboard-03.jpg

As a fun fact, both boards use the bottom (last) PCI-e slot for 3 way.

Any reason we can't use the third slot on the krait? Shold be at least 8x, no?

Tat is what I was thinking, otherwise the Asus boards Pierare listed would be better. :)

Last edited:
Well, i have in no way the know how as to why, but thats what the manuel says, i presume it has something to do with the pcie layout to cpu?

I use the MSI X99 Gaming 7, 5820K, and am running 2-way SLI with GTX 970. I have one card in slot 1, and the other in slot 3.

Works great...plenty of airflow...GPUs never get above 75 C with a 100 MHz overclock on each (both EVGA SSC cards...running at 1500 MHz). Only downside with the 5820K, this motherboard, and this configuration is that the PCI lanes for the graphics are only at X8 each...and covers up the LED display on the motherboard.

I tried running the graphics cards in slot 1 and 2 on the motherboard...got X16 and X8 speeds. However, the airflow was limited on the first card. GPUs ran hot...and fans were 80% or higher (because the GPUs were hot.)

You keep talking about "some space" but yet the Krait fits the bill, this is confusing me. What _do_ you want?

Asus x99 ( i do believe the photo is of deluxe?) non the less slots sit the same on all the black and white asus boards. SLI cards (dual slot cards)
View attachment 169881

MSI x99 Krait with SLI cards (dual slot cards)
View attachment 169882

As a fun fact, both boards use the bottom (last) PCI-e slot for 3 way.
mhm see the room between the 2 cards on the asus board. the msi doesn't offer that .
I want a super quiet cool running setup . looks like I'll have to torture my wallet and get the x99 pro

Well, i have in no way the know how as to why, but thats what the manuel says, i presume it has something to do with the pcie layout to cpu?
Sorry Pierre, I didn't ask you why. I though that, like a lot of boards, you can use that third slot with two cards. ;)

Anyway, Mike - there may be more out there, it just takes some research. ;)

I like how the pro has that awesome looking shroud where the usb ports go .. thats what makes it so attractive ..

I thought the same about shroud on Maximus VIII Hero till I got the board and I saw that cheap plastic :p

I thought the same about shroud on Maximus VIII Hero till I got the board and I saw that cheap plastic :p

cheap or not . I always tend to have a hard time installing the I/O plate correctly . 4 years into pc building and I cant seem to figure it out :D

There will be small difference between having the single slot spacing or not, when running 2 cards, but in all honesty, i have run both types of setup, SLI/Crossfire, i don't hear a difference, its all too loud for me.

I would get the MSI boards, and watercool. But its not exactly a cheap solution.

If the Titan X has ref cooler, then i honestly dont think you will hear much difference, since they are designed to run in SLI.

There will be small difference between having the single slot spacing or not, when running 2 cards, but in all honesty, i have run both types of setup, SLI/Crossfire, i don't hear a difference, its all too loud for me.

I would get the MSI boards, and watercool. But its not exactly a cheap solution.

If the Titan X has ref cooler, then i honestly dont think you will hear much difference, since they are designed to run in SLI.

I have a titan x with an arctric cooler . its suuuuuuuuuuper quiet .

Back