• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xbox 360 and dell 2001fp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krazykongo

i will be getting an xbox 360 and wish to use my dell 2001fp with it.as i use this monitor with my pc, can i connect it up to my monitor and through another port, which saves ma having to swap everytime?

at the moment i am using the blue cable to connect my monitor to my pc, is that the right one to be using, by that i mean will that one give the best quality picture? on my monitor i have d-sub (which it is connected to now), dvi-d, s-video and composite.

can i connect my xbox 360 to one of the above? will the quality be the same? what are the pros and cons of this?

which connection gives the best picture? is analog or digital better? is the blue lead analog or digital?

would i be at any disadvantage by using my monitor with the xbox360?
excuse the dull questions, i am very inexperienced with these things

blue lead is probably d-sub(looks like a com port) and thats analog. Digital is better. I do believe that you can connect the x-box 360 using composite, which is your best bet. past that all you would need to do is cycle through the inputs when u want to watch TV

hope that helps

Doesn't your video card have a DVI output? if so use that for your computer and use a component->VGA adapter for the 360. Or if the 360 does have DVI then it's a moot issue.

Either way it's possible.

will i be able to use my surround sound system that i have on my pc with the xbox360?
i have put the digital cable in my monitor now and have definitely noticed a difference in picture quality.
i have two digital out connections on my graphics card

one more thing how do i activate the usb ports on my monitor.they dont seem to work.

hehe why weren't you using DVI in the first place?!?! :p

For you to use your PC setup you'll need to run the audio output from the Xbox into a female RCA to male 1/8" jack and into your audio input port on your soundcard/mobo. You won't have surround sound, but you will have stereo (your card might be able to do some signal procesing and make it surround but I'm not sure).

Are you running a cable from your motherboard/onboard USB to the USB port on the monitor (the one located by where you plug in VGA or DVI....not the USB ports on the side....

nope, im not running a cable, is that what i need to do?

i have a creative audigy 2ZS soundcard, will that do the job?

For the USB...yeah you gotta run a USB cord which has a square like end into the LCD and the slim end into one of your computer USB ports.

Yeah one of those ports is an audio or line in port...I have no idea on those damn creative cards I hate how they don't label them with colors. Anyway, just as I said, take the 2 male RCA ends from the xbox and put them into a Y plug with 2 female RCA ends and one 1/8" mini plug and just plug it into your sound cards line in....then you need to have your soundcard setup to play from line in....I can't remember exactly how but it's in that control setup somewhere....been a while sicne I used creative cards

would i be able to connect the speakers straight to the xbox 360? there is an optical out or somethin like that on the back of my sub. what is that for?

actually its not an optical out its a diag out, with a s/pdif indicator thing next to it

actually its not an optical out its a diag out, with a s/pdif indicator thing next to it

can i connect the xbox 360 directly to my speakers using the vga cable and the other cable you mentioned earlier? i could plug the mini jack directly into my sub, like i did with my iriver mp3 player

well if your sub has the mini jack input then you should be able to use the RCA to mini/(1/8") adapter and plug it in and it should work

no, you'll get stereo sound
*edit*
Read more about the 360, it ships with what I thought, RCA cables, you have to purchase the optical audio cable seperate for 5.1...

I don't think your soundcard has an optical input either....some speakers have it but I think that's the z680 series.

A good sound card is the chaintech AV710, it's like 30 bucks and it's a digital sound card, not some craptastic AC97 based creative sound card :shrug:

Last edited:
Back