• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XBOX2 And PS3 .............. Same processor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's hard to tell right now..

I think it will be like 50/50 honestly, unlike the PS2 domination we've seen.

Xbox 2 will probably remain more powerful and online-friendly, while ps3 will be cheaper and have more variety. Just a guess.

All i know is a PS3 with all that graphics power would make for a GREAT linux box to do DV-mpeg encoding and 3d rendering :D

Also a little ironic how Microsoft is planning on using a cpu made for Apples

Aphex_Tom_9 said:
xbox is a P3 733mhz and gf3 vid card with 64mb of ram at 6.4gb/s
ps2 is 300mhz and the equivalent of a gf2 vid card with 32mb of ram at 3.2gb/s

that's some pretty old hardware. but it still plays great games that look really good. this new stuff will be better than our PC's...I expect some really really amazing gaming in the future.

but PS2 was using 128bit CPu's - or was it a GPU... which would knock around any Gf3. / pIII.

but as you said - for such old hardware either side - with new games still coming out, amazing how great they can look and play.

All I can say i smell some really stupid feautures on the xbox 2 and ps3. Comeon its a gaming console.
Thanks

DenniSTi said:
What's this blue-ray?

Blu-Ray is a new disk technogly being devoloped by a team of between 9 and 11 major comanys. (I can't remember the exact number) It uses blue-lasers insted of the current red-lasers. Also the beams are more narow and the data tracks are far more tightly packed. The current Blu-Ray design permits for 27Gb of data per disk. ATM Sony is the only company making Blu-Ray players/recorders, however they are only compatable with disk's up to 24Gb. Blu-Ray drives are compatable with the old red-laser DVD's and CD's.

The idea behind Blu-Ray was to create a HDTV storage media.

Last edited:
Mr.Guvernment said:
but PS2 was using 128bit CPu's - or was it a GPU... which would knock around any Gf3. / pIII.

but as you said - for such old hardware either side - with new games still coming out, amazing how great they can look and play.

The PS2 CPU is roughly as powerful as a 1.8Ghz P4, but the GPU is an embarrassment.

i think it's a little early to say whether blu-ray is going to be the thing that lasts, there are similar competing technologies...

compare the graphics on halo 2 to san andreas or snake eater. i mean, sure, the ps2 can run some good graphics asn far as models go, but it has hardly any textures. everything is smooth and looks like a clay model, not like real life. the xbox may not be as powerful or whatever, but it sure can torque out some great textures. and now that they have some decent games, if they follow the current architecture diagram (22 GB/s between processor and memory), then it will beat any PC for graphic power (at least any current PC), however, there's no telling what PC graphics will look like at the time of the xbox 2 and the ps3's release.

wow... i wanta see waht the graphics will look like. anything equal to or better than half life 2 == amazing. they seem to be constantly moving towards better these days.

That is mostly because the ps2 just doesn't have enough video memory to do any texturing. I remember people showing the dreamcast looking better than the ps2 in lots of games.

sevendevilhell said:
compare the graphics on halo 2 to san andreas or snake eater. i mean, sure, the ps2 can run some good graphics asn far as models go, but it has hardly any textures. everything is smooth and looks like a clay model, not like real life. the xbox may not be as powerful or whatever, but it sure can torque out some great textures. and now that they have some decent games, if they follow the current architecture diagram (22 GB/s between processor and memory), then it will beat any PC for graphic power (at least any current PC), however, there's no telling what PC graphics will look like at the time of the xbox 2 and the ps3's release.

wow... i wanta see waht the graphics will look like. anything equal to or better than half life 2 == amazing. they seem to be constantly moving towards better these days.

?????? ps2 models look like a bunch of polygons with no texture...it's not smooth at all even on a 20' screen. Also, xbox doesn't have 22GB between proc and mem, only 6.4. xbox2 has a full duplex 10.8GB connection to the northbridge and the memory bandwidth is no more than 8-10gb by my estimates unless they go with xdr. pc graphics will always surpass consoles since there are less limits to cooling than in a console. xbox had an hybrid gf3 and gf4 graphics but by the time of it's release, geforce 4 had already appeared on the market and was faster.

Yes PS2 was extreamly limited by the 32MB of memory that it had to share. Developers complained about it, and thats one of the main reasons why the PS2 was hard to code for, the lack of memory on the console.

Your all silly.

Xbox and Playstation are going to merge, making the PSBOX, with a 200 Mhz Pentium 1 Processor and an SLI 6800 Ultra GPU set up. I can't believe you guys didn't see that!

(people, its speculation)

Elif Tymes said:
Your all silly.

Xbox and Playstation are going to merge, making the PSBOX, with a 200 Mhz Pentium 1 Processor and an SLI 6800 Ultra GPU set up. I can't believe you guys didn't see that!

(people, its speculation)
SLI 6800??? I thought ATI was gonna use there Mach 64 with 1gb of memory onboard. Seriously people do you think consoles will ever surpass PCs in power.

x3lda said:
?????? ps2 models look like a bunch of polygons with no texture...it's not smooth at all even on a 20' screen. Also, xbox doesn't have 22GB between proc and mem, only 6.4. xbox2 has a full duplex 10.8GB connection to the northbridge and the memory bandwidth is no more than 8-10gb by my estimates unless they go with xdr. pc graphics will always surpass consoles since there are less limits to cooling than in a console. xbox had an hybrid gf3 and gf4 graphics but by the time of it's release, geforce 4 had already appeared on the market and was faster.

Just because its beyond your experience doesn't mean it will never happen. Its nice that we can cool our PCs any way we like, but that doesn't prove anything.

PCs are going to constantly maintain a processing power much high then that of consoles because it is a jack of all trades device. Its functionality is its strength, but also its greatest weakness. So much fat an excess compared to a streamlined device like a console. The only reason PCs maintain the advantage is sheer power. Who says PCs will forever be much more powerful then consoles when it comes to hardware.

These new machines with multiple processors and high end video card tech are going to be a new breed. With serious hardware and a single, focused purpose (meaning very streamlined hardware and software) should be very impressive in HDTV. Its too easy to simplify and say just because something hasn't happened for a while that it won't.

ps for the poster who said the cell in PS3 will be (claimed to be) 4.5-5 ghz, that is misinformation.

There was some info about cell that said it could do those speeds, but will be much slower in the ps3. It said cells speed would be bandwidth limited or something of the sort.

You can find it in the games forum with a search of "blow your mind". It should be in the first 1-3 pages also and is something like "ps3 is going to blow your mind".

On another note, Xbox can do DIII quality gfx @ 640 x 480 without lag. Just check out Riddick. Not bad for its crappy hardware, see what some streamlining can do. As for ps2, doesn't it use a risc cpu? Whatever it is its much more powerful then an x86 @ 300 mhz, but is still extremely limited for reasons already stated and not. Just look at the true 3d games, not racing or fighting games. Those can look very good on any system. GTA:SA is a great game, but makes my eyes bleed because the gfx are so ugly. Chunky, muddy, poor color (probably r*'s fault), crap models, short drawl/clipping... you name it.

Aphex_Tom_9 said:
xbox is a P3 733mhz and gf3 vid card with 64mb of ram at 6.4gb/s
ps2 is 300mhz and the equivalent of a gf2 vid card with 32mb of ram at 3.2gb/s

that's some pretty old hardware. but it still plays great games that look really good. this new stuff will be better than our PC's...I expect some really really amazing gaming in the future.

The stuff will not be better than our pc's because our pc's are already better than what they are talking about.

sevendevilhell said:
compare the graphics on halo 2 to san andreas or snake eater. i mean, sure, the ps2 can run some good graphics asn far as models go, but it has hardly any textures. everything is smooth and looks like a clay model, not like real life. the xbox may not be as powerful or whatever, but it sure can torque out some great textures. .

Well for starters GTA SA is more of a "cartoon" look and has never been a "real life" looking game - to me games like James bond, XIII , finaly fantasy X and need for speed under ground 2, grand tourismo 3, all look pretty darn great to me on my 56' TV.

no way consoles are going to have better hardware than pcs ..

btw if some would could dev. a os jus for gaming tht would solve alot of pc gaming prob I dont knoe why no one is doing such i mean you could market big out of it!

Because its not just the OS that is important for those Consoles graphics, its their hardware too.

You can pretty much strip XP down to its bones and use that for gaming, doesn't give you any better performance(Freer RAM, but I mean, big woop, 1GB is standard nowadays)

Elif Tymes said:
Because its not just the OS that is important for those Consoles graphics, its their hardware too.

You can pretty much strip XP down to its bones and use that for gaming, doesn't give you any better performance(Freer RAM, but I mean, big woop, 1GB is standard nowadays)

its not the performance tht i really had in mind even thou there is a slight advantage, its how ppl wont have to deal with system crashes and all tht stuff which makes ppl not even go close a a pc. If they did make a OS like tht u wont need to really worry about tht .

imo anywayz <<

Back