• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xfx 7850 core. crashing at 2500x1440

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Komitet

Complete new build. 4670k on ASUS Z87-A. Samsung evo 120, 4gb corsair ram. Win7

It does the GPU recover straight from the desktop. If it stays stable enough to get a game to launch it crashes in game too. 2 out of 3 times it does GPU recover 5 or 6 times and then blue screens with atikm.sys or something.

Im using mini display port to an apple cinema (27 inch non thunderbolt). I pulled the card and used the onboard and its fine. I also plugged in a 20 inch monitor via DVI @ 1080 without the apple and it was fine for the 15 minutes i tried it. I didnt try any games. I thought maybe the power supply wasn't strong enough (Ultra 450 watt that came in the case) but i tested with an older OCZ 600 watt that is running 2 8800 Ultras right now(so i know it works) and it still does the same thing.

Did some reading, this card is overclocked a bit, so i dropped the core from 975 to 900. It was stable for about an hour, then went back to crashing again. I had GPUz running, temp on the card never went over 50c.

So the question: RMA or get a different card? Does this thing not like running at 2550(?)x1440 resolution? It crashes a LOT playing 4k videos on youtube.

These new builds are depressing me. I had almost the same problems with a 4770k/sabertooth and gtx780 all brand new that constantly bluescreened just recently.

Edit: I also tried the card in my own system, which is a i7 930 on MSI x58. My card is a gtx580. I swapped in the 7850, ran DVI to my 24 inch at 1080, and it crashed within a minute. with y gtx 580 it hasnt crashed in.... probably months.

edit2: Aaaand i just read this thread: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743644
I think the guy at the store told me the R9 270 is a rebranded 7850? I dont know what the refresh is on the cinema display. wondering now what will happen if i turn it down. I have tried reinstalling the drivers (latest CCC) but i havent tried older drivers. Guess ill check the refresh and see what happens.

Edit3: Nope its 60hz. I just tried launching world of warcraft (classic original version) with CCC settings at 900 core / 1100 mem and +10% power limit and it instantly freezes. It was crashing yesterday and blue screening while idle and copying music files....

Last edited:
You wont be gaming well with a 7850 at that res... so If you game, def. get a higher end card instead of a 3 generations old model...

It was built for school work TBH, but her kids like playing warcraft. I game on my GTX580. When i was able to get it to run the game a few times it ran fine at that res. Its almost a 10 year old game now.

returned it to tigerdirect. They tested it at the desk and it wouldnt even power up, easy refund. Went home with a GTX760. Just waiting for a Displayport to miniDP adapter.

Back