• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XFX: Have I voided the warranty?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HeatM1ser2k4

Hi, I was wondering if one of you would know the answer to this...

I removes the factory HS and fan from ym XFX 7900GT Xtreme video card because I installed a water-cooling block. I dont overclock the card. Recently, I have been getting really distorted images that fill the entire screen, or the screen starts to flicker. It even flickers when a Windows screen saver is in use.I also installed heatsinks on the memory chips on the card.

Did removing the HS and fan and installing RAmsinks void the warranty, or should I be OK to RMA this?

i dunno about xfx but with evga its ok to do this and rma. i would call and ask.

try using a blowdrier or a heat gun and blow on the ramsinks (these produces much more heat than ram) then you should be able to just work off the ramsinks little by little

EmAn said:
try using a blowdrier or a heat gun and blow on the ramsinks (these produces much more heat than ram) then you should be able to just work off the ramsinks little by little
OK...once I am able to remove the RAMsinks...how do I remove the thermal adhesive thats left over on the RAM?

I spoke with Curtis at XFX, and he told me that I did void the warranty--but then said to just put the old HS and fan back on and it wouldnt be a problem! He also told me to remove the RAMsinks first.I just need to know how to get rid of the excess Arctic Silver so there arent any problems with an RMA

The warranty likely is voided, However I would call Xfx and tell the truth.

I had a problem with a Leadtek 68gt a couple of years ago, I had mounted a Zalman cooler on it with Ramsinks, I called them, Told the truth and they honored the warranty. I know folks have had the same results with Evga, IMO honesty is the best policy.

HeatM1ser2k4 said:
OK...once I am able to remove the RAMsinks...how do I remove the thermal adhesive thats left over on the RAM?

I spoke with Curtis at XFX, and he told me that I did void the warranty--but then said to just put the old HS and fan back on and it wouldnt be a problem! He also told me to remove the RAMsinks first.I just need to know how to get rid of the excess Arctic Silver so there arent any problems with an RMA

When I need to clean off an area with thermal compound I just use rubbing alcohol like you find in CVS or other drugstores. Put a little bit on a paper towel and rub the remaining compound off.

If you used something like Arctic silver adhesive then I would use some nail polish remover to get it off. Takes time to get it all and you may have to carefully scrape as much as possible off before using the nailpolish remover.

Back