• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XMP causing instability-crashes on a new PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Le0pard

Hello everybody, i got my parts yesterday mounted everything and started to test for system stability.

-Updated bios to the latest F11 version
-Left everything on stock settings
-Stress test with AIDA64 for CPU,GPU,RAM(without XMP). Everything went good, temps were looking good. No crashes, no weird sounds, no black screen.

So i went back to Bios to enable XMP. Booted, entered a game and after 5-10 minutes of gameplay PC restarted and went straight to Bios.

I run Memtest64 with XMP and without XMP. With XMP, test failed in about 5 minutes. Run the test without XMP on it, no errors or restarts for about 40-50 minutes. I tried this 5 times, same results.

Specs are :

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600Mhz CL16 https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232195
Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
GPU: Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2080 super
PSU: XFX TS 750W

I got those RAM sticks because they were in the mobos QVL list, thought it would be more "safe".
I would really appreciate if someone can help me out to make the XMP work, or else set the frequency and timings manually.

Try adding a bit more SOC voltage for the IMC. Whatever it is set at (see bios), raise it .1V and see if it works.

To be honest i have zero experience with RAM's, will research what is SOC and IMC and will try it out.

Sometimes it can help if you also increase the voltage to the RAM itself a tad, say from 1.35 to 1.4.

Sometimes it can help if you also increase the voltage to the RAM itself a tad, say from 1.35 to 1.4.

I had it on Auto, i think it's running on around 1.20V. Maybe i can try to put it to 1.35 ? Do you know what is the max "safe" voltage ?

The sticks are rated for 1.35V at xmp speeds. 1.20V for less/JEDEC (see cpuz and the spd tab - in fact please post up images of cpuz with the memory and spd tab showing) is normal. When you enable xmp it should go to 1.35v. 1.4v wont hurt, but it will only help if the board is undervolting...

Hello, yesterday all day i tried to make them stable. I also tried at 1.42V 3600Mhz and it was stable for around 2 hours but restarted, testing on Memtest86. Also tried at 3400Mhz 1.35V and it restared after 5 minutes, but this time it was even unable to boot, i was getting black screen with a white dash just hanging there.
At their native speed on 2133 it's stable and running without any problems.

I am out of ideas, any suggestions ?

It can work, but do you want to go down that hole of manually adjust things if you dont need to?

So i increased the SOC voltage from 1.100 to 1.112V, 3533Mhz at 1.42V now in test it lasted more than 3 hours. Almost did all the 4 passes, but restarted just before. Should i try to increase it more ? im not sure what else to do....

Make sure you have the RAM sticks populating the correct sockets on the motherboard. When only using two sticks the manufacturer will recommend using certain sockets on a four RAM socket board and that seems to be important for stability.

Hello, sorry for the delay. i wanted to ask when you say SoC you mean the VCORE SoC option ? Because there is option SoC voltage as well in DRAM overclocking section i think. Which one should i raise ?

Yesterday and today i put the frequency at 3400Mhz and Voltage on Auto, everything else on default as well. Seems to be working for now, no crashes or restars or any stutters in-game. I didnt try it with Memtest tho.

Ps. Yep i am pretty sure i put the sticks in correct sockets, there is an indication as well in motherboard where to put them.

Back