• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Xonar DG - Multi-Channel or upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MortalSynz

Registered
I came across a Dell OptiPlex 960 SFF desktop and turned it into an HTPC. Bought a video card and the Asus Xonar DG for the 5.1 audio and S/PDIF output. I unfortunately didn't research this card well enough because it apparently only supports 2-channel PCM via the S/PDIF output.

The OP960's audio will be going to my AV receiver w/ 5.1 channel surround which has 7 speakers and a subwoofer. The desktop is used for playing recorded HD TV, music, videos, and movies via my main desktop through XBMC/WMC mostly, and it is also configured to use one of the tuners from my Ceton InfiniTV 4. Now for my question(s)...

My AV receiver does have a multi-channel input. I would just need to buy 3.5mm to RCA converters in order to make the connections. Should I go this route, or return the Xonar and get a card that can properly send Dolby Digital 5.1 through the S/PDIF output? If the I go the multi-channel input, am I going to lose any sound quality? I'm not at all an "audiophile", but I would like some good sound and 5.1 surround. If a "proper" card is suggested, could I get a recommendation? I'm not too interested at spending $100+ on a sound card. I was just hoping to have a decent HTPC to play my files over HDMI and 5.1 audio, not at all a looking for a top of the line PC.

Thanks for any help that you guys can offer.

Last edited:
You want a different card. Using the 3.5mm jacks for output, the Xonar will be doing the DAC, and I doubt that it will even approach the quality of a dedicated receiver. You might also try to locate a video card with HDMI output and a receiver with HDMI pass-through, then you could just use the GPU as the audio card, too.

Thanks, I'll return the Xonar and find something that fits my needs. I assumed that the 3.5mm to RCA converter wasn't going to be the best move, but needed someone's opinion with more knowledge than I.

I'm not willing to fork out the much cash (new receiver) just for a new receiver with HDMI capability. It's on my list for a future purchase, but certainly not right now.

If anyone has recommendations for an inexpensive 5.1 sound card with S/PDIF output, I would appreciate it :) In the meantime, I'll search around a little better than last time.

http://alsa.opensrc.org/DigitalOut
You want bitstream for surround. If the onboard audio has S/PDIF output and can do up to 192kHz, no need to upgrade. Also look on the back of the TV for a S/PDIF output.

Don't use analog interconnects with a digital amplifier. It's basically like using VGA for a LCD monitor - it can work quite well but nowhere as good as a digital connection.

Unfortunately there's no s/pdif output onboard :( If there was, I wouldn't have bothered with a sound card.

After some research, I may be SOL. Since it's a small form factor desktop and only a single PCI slot, I'd need a low-profile card and not finding anything. I'll have to stick with what I have or go with an external USB sound "card".

I looked at the pictures and saw only the 3.5mm outputs not realizing one of them comes with a S/PDIF adapter :( Once again overlooking details, but another reason I asked for recommendations because I knew I'd miss important factors. Thanks everyone for your help, I'm all set now.

Back