• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP 3000+ or XP-M 3000+?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TimBlake84

So, I currently have a XP 3000+ (non-mobile) in my rig right now. I know that mobile CPUs overclock better and use less voltage to remain stable. My current non-mobile CPU is OC'd to the max I think. My question to you is, a) do you think it would be worth the money to upgrade to the mobile or should I upgrade my RAM and attempt pushing my CPU? b) do mobile's come in a socket A? Because spending money for a CPU AND mobo is not really an option right now (empty wallet syndrome... :cry: ) Lemme Know... Holla'! :sn:

Looking at your sig, and considering future faster CPU, etc. Keep your money, upgrade your ram, to tome PC3200 or higher, since you will use these now and use them for future AMD64 setups, a CPU upgrade on the Athlon XP side is not going to give you substantial benefit and is fast fading out....(well kinda of...).

or if you want to go with a mobile, do not get teh 3000+ it is no different than a standard unlocked desktop chip. get a 2500 or 2600+ they work at a lower vcore. 2.5 can usually be achieved

2600+ is the best. Pick out one from Excaliberpc with a IQYHA stepping, and you're almost guaranteed to hit 2.6+. Great chips. I'd have to agree with mata though, the A64 chips are going down in price, and you could buy an entire new setup ,by selling what you have and putting the money toward it, for 500 bucks: mobo, cpu, and ram. The Winchester 64 3000+ 939 is going for 170 right now I believe. That is a great buy. Or the 3200+ if you want to spend a bit more.

Also, lower that multiplier and increase the FSB instead. your PC2700 may not do 200 FSB but it should go into high 180s FSB.

I would enjoy the setup your have until you decide to go to Athlon 64. They tend to perform a lot better at same frequencies so there is no Athlon XP you can overclock to match overclocked Athlon 64, relatively speaking.

[185] FSB x 13 = 2405 MHz @ 1.80 Vcore with memory frequency at 100% [185 FSB] @ 2.90 Vdimm
Epox 8RDA+ v1.1
Thermalright SLK-947U with variable speed 80x25mm Thermaltake Smart Fan 2
BFG GeForce4 Ti4200 8X 128MB; Antec SX-835II case ; 380W Antec TruePower TP380
Four 80x25mm Case Fans + 1 Variable speed 80x25mm Fan YS-Tech FD1281259B-2F

um enduro, vdimm can be set up to 3.3 on a lot of boards. mines set at 2.7 right now, I think if I set it at 2.2 it wouldn't boot

;) Guys, look at TimBlake's vdimm. I'd hope that c627627 could figure out what vdimm was possible.

Sorry for the amibiguous post, it was directed at Tim.

I agree with everyone that said go for the RAM. I have PC2700 and i max out at around 223MHz @2.5 4 4 9 timings. i have it running at 200 MHz but i cannot tighten any of the timings because i lose stability. I kind of wish i held on to my TBred 1700 and invested in some PC3200 instead. oh well. anyways, get the ram because you can move it to a A64 system later when the prices drop a little more.

Samsung PC2700 IS mislabeled PC3200 RAM.

Average generick PC2700 sticks don't go further than low 190s.

That depends on the ram. I had some pc2700 ram that came off of a HP desktop. Put it in my computer, and it did 235 fsb at 3-3-3-11 2.9V It had Hynix chips on it, but they weren't BT D43, but then again, Hynix seems to make some of the best overclocking IC's out right now.

But generally speaking, yeah. Since most ram only gets a 30 Mhz overclock most will max out around 190 fsb.

Okay....I am an idiot. My Vdimm IS set at 2.2. I wrote that signature and it didn't even phase me. I am going to get home from work (in eight hours) and up it to 2.6 or 2.7... maybe get a little higher FSB out of that (you think it will do 12.5x190?) I would like to get the FSB up to 200 without putting the multi lower then 12.... maybe 12x200 would be possible. Anyways, enough of the rambling. What latency timings do you think would be optimum for my ram? I have no clue about RAM timings so help me out here. This RAM is burned in quite a bit but I have only used the built in MOBO timings (aggressive, turbo, default) but I can also set the timings independantly. Let me know.... thanks for all your help guys.

AH! I just thought of something... I can lower the memory frequency (this will make it asynchronous, correct) but I can lower it in 10% increments. If I but the frequency down to 90% rather then the 100 it is at right now, that should help out with raising the FSB correct?

??? You lost me on that one.

With AMD's. Always use a 1:1 cpu/ram ratio: make it 3:3 or 6:6, the higher the better, but keep it 1:1.

If you want more fsb, loosen your timings from aggressive to 3-3-3-11 or 2.5-3-3-11 depending on what your stock timings were. Also, you can up your vdimm supposedly. I'm not sure about what you can do on that board. Up it to 2.7 or 2.8V if you can, and then try to overclock the ram more.

Back