• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP computer and 98SE computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

typhoonmike

Okay I finally installed WinXP on one of my computers and I really don't like it. Guess it's because I just don't understand it compared to 98. Had figured out just how I wanted 98 setup and everything and I have no clue about XP.

Anyway I have one computer with XP Home on it and one with 98SE. Both are connected to an Asante Router to share my cable connection.

Now before I started screwing with stuff, the XP computer could see the 98 computer and the 98 computer could see the XP computer. One weird thing though is I would password protect my shared folders on 98 but when I accessed them with XP, the password would not be asked for. If I tried to access folders on XP from 98, it would ask for a password that I don't remember setting up and it would not accept the password I used as my logon password. Now this might be related to the fact that I selected to have my files and whatnot locked or whatever it is in XP.

2nd problem. Using NetBeui protocol on the 98 machine for my LAN. Now the WinXP computer can see the 98 computer but it says it doesn't have access. Can't seem to find/use NetBeui in XP so I'm guessing that's the problem.

I also just checked and noticed that I need to have remote access enabled to allow the 98 machine to browse the XP machine? Maybe I misunderstood the naming, but remote access to me just sounded more sinister than file sharing.

Hope someone can help. Thanks

WinXP doesn't have NetBEUI, but I remember that you can install it somehow. I did a quick search @ microsoft, couldnt' find any downloads... it might be on the XP cd somwhere.

Remote Access isn't file sharing, turn it off. If you mean Remote Desktop, that's a feature where you can connect to your desktop remotely, and use your comptuer like you were in front of it. (Link). Remote Assistance is when you can "ask" another person for help, and they can connect to your desktop and help you do things remotely.

As for asking you for a password, that's a whole different can of beans. In 98, there wasn't really a concept of users. In XP, you have to log in with a username and a password, and all the security is based around that. To share things with your 98 computer, find out what username the 98 box is logged in as, and create a user with the same username and password on the XP box.

put ur xp disk in 98se comp and let it auto run and u will see the option to create home network run that then restart usually works!

Why don't you just use the TCP/IP protocol on your Windows 98 machine?

I tossed the Windows XP network floppy in the garbage. It only messed up the network settings on my Windows 98 machine. Instead I just set everything manually. It only took a couple minutes.

Back