• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xp users

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes, in BIOS, if your setting is set to AHCI instead of IDE, as it should be, then Windows XP installation disc may encounter problems because it lacks AHCI drivers.

nLite inserts those drivers into Windows XP installation. Here's what you do, if or when you run into those problems with your legit copy of Windows XP, unzip to read instructions:

Attachments

• AHCI.zip
    1 MB · Views: 34
If you absolutely can't live without XP then just install it on a VM instead of dual booting it.

I actually never used the VM because with a single click and superfast reboot app, I go from Win8 to actual WinXP like so:

View attachment 128270

Simply CHECKING the box changes the the default OS, no need to even click on Save Settings button! Download Page: http://neosmart.net/download.php?id=1 [Scroll Down and use any Name & Email to Download]

Dude that is friggin awesome.I never used a dual boot before, but have a copy of xp on another rig.I play some games on xp, so having both xp and 7 on (1) pc would be better than switching to another pc

Are you using multiple hdd's drives? I keep my os separate on on wd 500 gig dive.If **** hits the fan, a image file will get me back quickly.

1.Do you partition a drive then install your os on each partition?

2.How many partitions are safe for a hdd? I heard more than two is not good for the drive

3.Please explain your set-up.I am very interested how you have this working.That little programs is very cool

To answer you questions:

1. Each OS has to go on either on its own partition OR its own hard drive. Because SSDs are so much faster, unless you have multiple SSDs, I partition the SSD into relatively small partitions and would install Windows 8 onto one and install Windows XP onto another with third partition having Program Files XP and Program Files 8 so that large apps/games are NOT installed onto the OS partition for easier imaging, which is done FROM one OS to another, so that you can image in less time than it takes you to use a short bathroom break.

In other words, you can nuke and reimage in less time it takes you to diagnose the smallest problem. I keep a txt file of things that need to be tweaked so that the image is tweaked once a month, usually around patch Tuesday so that WHEN NOT IF Microsoft or video card company or another hardware company messes up a driver you can reimage back to when things were working and figure out what needs to be done to have things just like you want them to be and working like they used to be.

2. Four partitions. There is a limitation of four for widest compatibility with old OS.

3. I installed Windows XP onto D drive partition first. Today, I would install Windows 8 onto C drive second, so that Windows 8 can pickup Windows XP automatically inside its multi-boot selection screen.

E drive is where I keep Program Files XP, Program FIles 8 and a folder inside which there are Desktop XP, Desktop 8, Start Menu XP, Start Menu 8, My Documents XP, My Documents 8, SendTo XP, SendTo 8, Favorites folder used by ALL operating systems I have installed, and used by Firefox instead of Firefox Bookmarks, REVISIONS folder where I keep txt files of monthly tweaks I make.

I store images on separate hard drives for faster imaging/reimaging. Every once in a while I burn images to DVDs.

3.Please explain your set-up.I am very interested how you have this working.That little programs is very cool

In here, in headache-inducing details: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7273435

Last edited:
I run XP and all kind of other OSes on VMs. I use XP in my HTPC also as there are a few apps that don't run in Vista/Win7/Win8 etc.

I'm not worried about lack of Microsoft support. I pretty much supply my own support and have secure internet surfing habits.

To answer you questions:

1. Each OS has to go on either on its own partition OR its own hard drive. Because SSDs are so much faster, unless you have multiple SSDs, I partition the SSD into relatively small partitions and would install Windows 8 onto one and install Windows XP onto another with third partition having Program Files XP and Program Files 8 so that large apps/games are NOT installed onto the OS partition for easier imaging, which is done FROM one OS to another, so that you can image in less time than it takes you to use a short bathroom break.

In other words, you can nuke and reimage in less time it takes you to diagnose the smallest problem. I keep a txt file of things that need to be tweaked so that the image is tweaked once a month, usually around patch Tuesday so that WHEN NOT IF Microsoft or video card company or another hardware company messes up a driver you can reimage back to when things were working and figure out what needs to be done to have things just like you want them to be and working like they used to be.

2. Four partitions. There is a limitation of four for widest compatibility with old OS.

3. I installed Windows XP onto D drive partition first. Today, I would install Windows 8 onto C drive second, so that Windows 8 can pickup Windows XP automatically inside its multi-boot selection screen.

E drive is where I keep Program Files XP, Program FIles 8 and a folder inside which there are Desktop XP, Desktop 8, Start Menu XP, Start Menu 8, My Documents XP, My Documents 8, SendTo XP, SendTo 8, Favorites folder used by ALL operating systems I have installed, and used by Firefox instead of Firefox Bookmarks, REVISIONS folder where I keep txt files of monthly tweaks I make.

I store images on separate hard drives for faster imaging/reimaging. Every once in a while I burn images to DVDs.

In here, in headache-inducing details: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7273435

Thank-you.I will look into this for sure.My main project for now is configuring Comodo Firewall. Stay with 5 or move to 6 :chair:Not to happy with some of the user control options in version 6.I love rules, but only when it comes to firewalls :) I am used to alot of the bs that comes with configuring and tweaking.This is right up my alley.

Well why not start a thread here about that?

Comodo Firewall 6 introduces an extra step when blocking applications requesting internet access: When you don't have computer resources to be running updates and when a program wants to download an update, it gets blocked by Comodo Firewall. But instead of clicking one button to deal with it, version 6 now asks you to _choose_ if you want to block or terminate and block, every time. I've contacted the developers several times about that but in their wisdom, they kept this annoyance so I stayed with Comodo Firewall 5 and did not upgrade to 6.

Comodo Firewall is freeware and beats pay-for alternatives when it comes to software firewalls.

Here is how I install it:

Version 5.12 is compatible with Windows 8. That is the only difference between v5.10 and v5.12. There are no other different features. On Windows 7/XP machines, installing v5.12 is identical to installing v5.10.

Double click on Setup.exe to install the program > OK > UNCHECK everything.
Do not change DNS servers. Do not enable Cloud Based Behavior Analysis.

BEFORE CLICKING ON Agree and install ** CLICK ON CUSTOMIZE INSTALLATION here. **

UNCHECK: Install COMODO GeekBuddy and COMODO Dragon >

THEN GO TO Configuration options TAB and UNCHECK: Everything > Back > Agree and Install

First import any saved configurations if you have them:
Right click on the Comodo icon in the task bar > Configuration > Manage My Configurations > Import...

Wait for it to be imported, then click on the imported configuration > Activate

Otherwise, set your custom configuration:

Start the program > More... TAB > Preferences > General TAB > UNCHECK Everything > OK

Firewall TAB > Firewall Behavior Settings [last on right] > General Settings TAB > Custom Policy
then
Alert Settings TAB > Alert Settings > Very Low (Shows only one alert per application) > OK

Defense+ TAB > Defense+ Settings > [last on right] > Disabled > OK

Firewall > Common Tasks > Define any New Trusted/Blocked Applications
To view a list of blocked/trusted applications: Firewall > Network Security Policy

Note that even if you exit this program, it will still block access to other computers on the network if the following are blocked under Firewall > Network Security Policy:

System
Allow And Log IP In/Out From IP Any Where Protocol Is Any
C:\Windows\explorer.exe
Allow And Log IP In/Out From IP Any Where Protocol Is Any

People that are still running XP need to stop living in the past. XP was great, 10 years ago. Now it is old and horrible insecure.

Sounds like something a typical Windows 8 fanboi would say.

XP x64 is NOT a horrible OS! Still uses less RAM with applications closed than 7!

And XP is NOT a horrible OS if people didn't keep browsing as administrator!

This is coming from a person that likes Windows 7. ;)

Last edited:
People that are still running XP need to stop living in the past. XP was great, 10 years ago. Now it is old and horrible insecure. Not to mention that Microsoft will completely stop supporting it next year (and by completely I mean even multi billion dollar companies won't get support for it).

Sounds like something a typical Windows 8 fanboi would say.

XP x64 is NOT a horrible OS! Still uses less RAM with applications closed than 7!

And XP is NOT a horrible OS if people didn't keep browsing as administrator!

This is coming from a person that likes Windows 7. ;)

I use Win764, but some of my older games run better on xp.Why do people say your living in the past.I live in the present, but love to revisit the past if there is an advantage.I also use xp for some programs that Win7 does not play nice with.XP compatibility is a nice function, but the real deal is better imo.

Just be aware that your win 7 32 bit key will work on a win7 64 bit install, all you need is the disk. Your activation will likely fail because you have previously activated it, but you can then choose telephone activation and a few minutes later you will be golden. and of course you will have to stop using the win 7 32bit install once you go 64 bit.

Rebooting all the time is a pain. Modern computers are powerful enough to run an XP VM quite easily, so do that if possible.

Depending on what you want to do, if you ever need to be in real Windows XP, scroll up to post#11 of this very thread, you will see a way to go from Windows 7/8 to actual real Windows XP, in less than two minutes.

I actually never used the VM because with a single click and superfast reboot app, I go from Win8 to actual WinXP like so:

View attachment 128270

Simply CHECKING the box changes the the default OS, no need to even click on Save Settings button! Download Page: http://neosmart.net/download.php?id=1 [Scroll Down and use any Name & Email to Download]

EasyBCD Community Edition 2.2.0.182 is the latest edition. Any reason to stay with 2.1?

My notes from when v2.2 was still in Beta:

Version 2.1 may start faster (up to four times faster) than v2.1.2 and 2.2 Beta because v2.1.2 and 2.2 Beta query removable drives and if there is an external drive in sleep mode - this would cause a lengthy delay for EasyBCD to start.

I understand that once 2.2 got out of Beta, this may have been addressed. The author himself told me it would be addressed by the time v2.2 official got out after I told him that whatever benefits the query had, they were nullified by the delay they were causing since external drives often power down and we can't be waiting for them to power up just because we are starting EasyBCD for an operation that has nothing to do with external drives.

I just checked and v2.2 official is installed in my system. If anyone wants to time how fast v2.2 starts versus v2.1.0 after the external drive is ON but stops spinning, that would be interesting to know. It certainly is not as big of a difference as when it was when 2.2 Beta and 2.1.2 were out.

I think 2.1 or 2.2 official are OK, I would stay away from 2.1.2 official and 2.2 Beta.

I have machines running XP for years with no problems. They are simple surfing, word, and excel machines or folding machines and there is no financial justification to upgrade them. XP they are, and XP they will stay until they bite the dust (unless they taste Ubuntu at some point).

MicroSoft can cut off what they like, but many many machines will remain XP.

I keep an XP VM around - mostly just for doing walk through on support calls. Hardware typically fails due to rust and rot long before OS support is an issue, so the VM works well for me and customers who need legacy app support. Being able to have VM in a minimized Window and pull it up immediately without closing anything is a popular feature.

Back