• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

y wont it go faster

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hell-spawn

ok first of all here is my system

System
athlon XP 1800+ (palimino AGOIA 0226) @ 1773, 2.00 volts
Epox 8K9AI -KT400 - AGP 8x
2x256DDR PC 2100 @ 380 MHZ
MSI MS-8894-70 TI4200 128mb 8x @ 300/600mhz
Western Digital Cavier 40gb with 8mb cache
diamond data 40x32x10
hitachi 16x DVD

Cooling
copper heatink with 5000 RPM fan
4 case fans @ 6000 RPM

3Dmark 2001 SE 12249
3Dmark 2003 1506

now my problem is i cant get my clock speed higher than 1773mhz with stability. ive had 1810mhz but windows crashes within 5 minutes.. y? i have seen other systems only with exact same CPU and mobo with locked multiplier reach 2.1ghz and apparently they have stabilty (yes i know they could be lieing) i know its not a matter of heat cause my system never gos over 50. is there some other settings in bios i need to change.. do i need better ram? is my video card not able to handle a higher bus speed? do i need more voltage? i have my voltage at 2.00 which is the most i can get out of my mobo.. ne help or ideas would be great or point me in the direction of some help...

cheers :)

Well how about giving us some settings you already have used.

Multiplier, fsb, vddm, ram timing, etc etc etc

#1 question on my mind: what heatsink? Simply saying 'copper' doesn't tell me much. Your chip is probably cooking at 2 volts. Have you tried using a lower voltage?

Also, how do you check stability of other components in your system? Memtest86 is good for ram. And remember, nothing is certain in overclocking. Just because another system will do it doesn't mean yours will.

Well.. if you look at the cpu database, the average overclocked speed for your 1800 pally is around 1750 mhz. Some chips just don't overclock as high as others unfortunately. :( 2.0v on air cooling seems a bit too much tho...

Also, what power supply do you have? I've noticed when people look for what's wrong in their system or ask why they keep crashing, they never list their power supply brand.

droppppp that voltage, you aren't watercooled 2v is cookin ya chip. from what i gather there your chip is locked and you've gotten up to 1773? with a multi of 11.5 this would put your ram speed at 150 yeah? my guess would be you're topping out that pc2100. that would seem the most obvious answer to me, you may try lowering your vcore, as i don't think that you need to be anywhere near that high to get 1800-ish out of that chip. of course every chip is diff and there's allways a chance that you're topping out your chip, but i doubt that's the case. push the voltage to your vdimm up to about 2.8-9 should be safe there (that's your ram voltage btw). see if you can boot w/ those voltage settings first, if so, then try and run the most relaxed settings you can on your ram, then try a bit more on the fsb, just one or two mghz at a time. i think you'll get a bit more out of it this way, good luck bud.!

J.

Edit* please give your multi and fsb, you've said your ram is @ 380? that would be fsb of 190????? on pc 2100????? if that's the case you've got one heck of an o/c goin on your ram bud, my pc2100 does 170 stable @ cas2 aggressive settings. even at most relaxed settings and cas2.5 i can't get over 173 without bsod.

Back