• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yellow LED Case Fans? Do they exist?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XombieShovel

Hi all. This is my first time posting, though I am a long time reader.

I have an Antec900, and I would like to mod it for Fallout 3, nothing complicated, just a simple paint job and component swap. The color I felt best fit with Fallout was yellow, the only problem, my case fans are blue. I have spent the past two hours searching the internet for yellow case fans only to find none. I no somewhere out there they exist, but I need help in finding them.

If someone could point me in the right direction I would be most grateful. Otherwise I will probably have to resort to modding my existing fans and that's more work than I would like. Anything at all would be great. I am looking for 4 120 mm, a PSU fan (although I may just buy a new PSU), and a CPU fan.

Red or Orange would also be acceptable, but not preferred.

Should be really simple to switch out the LEDs. Pick up some cheap 120mm Blue-LED fans (blue is the most common) and just switch the LEDs out with yellow ones. Shouldn't take much work as long as you know your way around a soldering iron.

Yeah what solid said...just make sure if you do to place it right, shortest lead is the negative lead.
I remember back in my advanced electronics class in high school my teacher had bags of houndreds of LEDs...

My suggestion is to buy yellow colored 120mm fans (Like This), or clear.

Then apply a yellow UV reactive paint to them, along with throwing a couple of these in.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/3013/lit-72/12_Cold_Cathode_Kit_Dual_Ready_-_Yellow.html

You can even splurge and buy some of these!
http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2459157

482a8354e045c_66585n.jpg

You won't find 'yellow' LED's, but you'll find Amber ones. If that isn't good enough you'll have to do some other trickery to obtain a yellow color.

You won't find 'yellow' LED's, but you'll find Amber ones. If that isn't good enough you'll have to do some other trickery to obtain a yellow color.

Yellow LEDs do exist... I have quite a few 5mm ones I ordered from Mouser a while back. They aren't amber, they are indeed a very bright yellow. They're in clear housing too (as opposed to yellow with the diode of a white LED).

+1 for Hazaro's idea. Get some clear or yellow fans without LEDs, and paint them with yellow UV goop. The "UV" would be more appropriate for Fallout than LEDs, anyway :cool:

$10 for an orange UV one here if you can't find yellow stuff

A:MOST IMPORTANT!! Voltage differences. blue, white, and some green leds use 3.2-3.4 volts. red, and some yellow and green use 2.1-2.3 volts. some yellow leds use 1.9-2.1 volts. UV leds use 3.4-3.6 volts. IR leds use 1.5 volts. Almost all leds use 20ma of current.

B:When making strings of leds use this: http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz.

C:I suggest buying a fan with red leds installed not blue. If you get a blue led fan then the resistor(s) already installed will not be the correct ones for the operating voltages of yellow leds and willl burn them out immediately.

D: Tayda electronics is great. very cheap and the shipping doesnt take too long, about 7-10 days. I recently bought A LOT of stuff from them including 100 more yellow leds. Get the 5mm ones with colored cases, not the water clear.

E:It is very easy to swap leds in a computer fan or any device that doesn't use smd leds. Even fans that don't already have leds will probably have the holes pre-molded into them. My rosewill fans were like this so i glued in leds and ran wires to the 12v and ground connections where the wire comes into the fan motor housing. all you have to do is peel back the sticker. outside is ground, middle is 12v+, and inside is a signal wire.

Back