• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yet another lame AmberineM question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

capridrifter

Registered
But this time The question is I need to replace this POS for a better one...ok...Catch is I want to just replace the MoBo and keep everything else I happen to like this case and the card readers and everything else about it.

I have a Compaq Presario SR1630NX I know its a few years old and I do not care nor do I want answers like "just replace the entire thing its old"

SO yeah, Here is the specs for this thing I just need everything to Plug back in after the swap:)
AmberineM-GL6E Asus A8AE-LE
c00610154.gif

Help? Not sure what i'm looking for other then i know it needs to be ASUS m-ATX form I think. links would be nice as well

What are you hoping to accomplish with this?

Is the motherboard broken, or do you just desire something better, to overclock with?

If it's broken, your best bet might be eBay, which commonly has consumer PC direct part replacements. This is the only guaranteed way to be able to swap it directly into the PC without having to rebuild the system, or repair Windows. I cannot for the life of me find an A8AE-LE in Asus' website, though, so the motherboard wasn't a retail product in the North American market. It looks like a Radeon Xpress 200 chipset, so another motherboard with the same chipset might get you good results, too.

If you're going to do a fresh build, anyway, any micro-ATX Socket 939 motherboard should do ya' just fine.

The problem, though, is finding Socket 939 motherboards to begin with these days. They're very much end-of-life. Anything you find will be a couple of years old, and you'll be limited to whatever oddball vendors happen to have them lying about in a warehouse. Newegg even has Socket-A motherboards in stock more often than they have 939s!

My suggestion to you would be to browse the Classified section here at OC.com - someone might be looking for a buyer for an older micro-ATX 939 motherboard. Plenty of folks sell regular ATX motherboards for socket 939 there, it seems... all you'd really need if you wanted to use one of these (which will be far more common than a micro-ATX board) is a cheap ATX case. Transfer all of the stuff from the Compaq, and you're the big winner. You could probably get a case for about $30, as you wouldn't need anything remarkable, and a good used board for maybe $50. Which is a bit cheaper than going $150 at minimum for a full platform change.

So, just so we all know, what model of Athlon is this, anyway? What sort of memory came with the machine, and how much of it?

ETA : If you go the full-ATX route, check this out:
http://www.gearxs.com/gearxs/product_info.php?products_id=10171 - $27 for a motherboard, NIB. I've never heard of or done business with GearXS.com, so buyer beware as always.
http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/reviews/motherboards/Foxconn_NF4UK8AA_1.html - Review. Not the greatest, but for $30, is it that important?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147103 - case, $30 shipped. Not pretty, not elegant, but it'll hold an ATX motherboard.

Remember, if you do something like this, be sure your PSU cables are long enough to reach in a normal case; some OEMs are really stingy with their cable lengths in micro-ATX cases!

Last edited:
Awesome, If I go with a Full atx board then i'll just make my own case out of plywood and spare parts that way I could then fill it with as many hard drives as it will hold as well as space for cooling and the wood will help absorb sound.
(If I do this I'll take a ton of pictures)
Oh and price is very important but I am willing to wait it out a bit for a better motherboard since that will make the difference of just an ok system or a great system.

How proprietary is the compaq anyhoo? I would very much like to use all my stuff that came with it:)

*edit* I forgot to mention that I want to ditch this mobo its junk, stock locked out junk I want full control over my computer;)
Other then that it works great!

Last edited:
Oh its an
AMD Athlon 64
3500+
2.19 Ghz, 2.50 GB of RAM
Physical address extension
Video by ATI HIS X1550 "very cheap but it works"

And I am running XP pro Service pack 3

yeah, I have disks and stuff its all good I brought this computer back from the dead I could do it again after the swap...or um major overhaul.

lol, you watch that show too! I think i'm going to go full atx on this that way I have more then enough slots for whatever I might want to install. As far as the case is concerned i'm going to do a double wide with the MoBo in the middle...CHOP CHOP! good thing I have 6 cases for parts!

old thread with a new question???

I know this is an old thread, but this the only thread I could find that has this board on topic. I was wondering if anyone knows how to unlock the cpu and fan speed feature on this OEM MB?? I've been using clockgen for awhile to up the FSB on my cpu, I would like full control of my board rather than using a third party piece of software to do it for me. Any help....

Back