• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

YMMV - 2Tb Samsung F4 $32 Open Box

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Is this packaging normal? Does everyone else have packaging like this?

Good sized box, I imagine there's bubble wrap around the drive. I don't blame newegg for UPS playing dodgeball with my box.
SAM_4912.jpg

Uh, nothing between the drive 'shipping shell' and the box? The bubbles in the shell are dented...
SAM_4914.jpg

Using these as spacers on the bottom? I guess it's better than having the drives fly around the box, but couldn't they throw in peanuts/bubble wrap on both sides of the drive?
SAM_4916.jpg

To me, this is asking for trouble. I'm definitely running tests on these drives...

The packaging is exactly what I got with my last 2 drives. The crushed box is value added by UPS. :)

Yikes. Bad packaging, UPS would defiantly refuse insurance claims. On top of that there's an unusually high number of bad drives, and I believe Newegg eats return shipping.

Looks like their attempt to cut cost by cutting quality out is going to end up costing them more in returned shipping fees, rejected insurance claims, and possible hard drive companies refusing exchange or refund because Newegg didn't pack it properly.

Mine was in the clear plastic clam-shell wrapped in bubble tape, and placed in a box on top of brown packing paper. I wish they'd surround the item w/ the paper instead of just using it as filler. But it sounds like mine was packaged better than yours.

I guess it just depends on who is packing your box. :shrug:

The 2tb I ordered a few weeks ago was packaged the same way, but the box arrived in great shape. I then received a 1TB a few days ago and it was wrapped in bubble wrap in a larger box, and it was a good thing because the box was smashed.

I also received a 2.5" drive and it came in the smaller box, but it was actually put into the HDD packager ends. I'm guessing because the 2.5" drives don't come in the plastic case like the 3.5" drives.

Haha, didn't both of you have a dead drive? :-/

...I guess I'm next. :rain:

FWIW, None of the problem drives I've received were actually DOA and I don't think it had anything to do with shipment packaging. They had problems like a single bad block that could not be read or formatted past, really "troublesome" benchmark readings with lots of repeating low spikes in read speeds all across the surfaces, one with very abnormally low write performance, etc. I don't have any idea how much re-testing newegg does on them when they come back but the one with the bad block would have been obvious had a simple read scan been done before reselling it (assuming it didn't happen when it was reshipped of course).

I can see how someone might get those drives, find that they don't work like they expect and just return them without flagging them as defective to newegg. That's why I'd be sure to test any open box drive thouroghly.

ED: I should add that not all of these occured recently with the HD204UI models. At least one was an open box HD203WI model IIRC.

Is this packaging normal? Does everyone else have packaging like this?

Good sized box, I imagine there's bubble wrap around the drive. I don't blame newegg for UPS playing dodgeball with my box.
View attachment 101343

Uh, nothing between the drive 'shipping shell' and the box? The bubbles in the shell are dented...
View attachment 101344

Using these as spacers on the bottom? I guess it's better than having the drives fly around the box, but couldn't they throw in peanuts/bubble wrap on both sides of the drive?
View attachment 101345

To me, this is asking for trouble. I'm definitely running tests on these drives...

You need to call newegg and send them these pics, completely serious. This is unacceptable

Just mine in yesterday, all seems to be fine (ran a quick diagnostic on it and it came back clean). Formatted and now just to decide what I will be moving off of my 2TB raid0 setup onto it...

Mine came similarly packaged (sitting ontop of 2 hard drive holders inside of the little clam shell case, no other packaging).

Received my HD103SJ, packaged like others have described (no damage to packaging), and it's passed SMART, SMART short, and a full read test. I'm confident to think it's in fine working order. That makes this a steal for the price. :)

I shoulda bought this when the 1tb was up. My raid0 array just died again. hdd passes smart test but this is the second time in 1 month its died!

Back