• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

You can help my little project :) (K7 MSRs)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

emboss

Hello all,

As part of the K7D bios patching project, I'm trying to find as much information as possible about the K7 MSRs. Since these are pretty much all undocumented (and in some cases actively hidden my AMD), the only way to find out stuff is by comparing how the chips are set up.

Hence my MSR scanner, inventively titled "msrdump" :) It just tries every single possible MSR and sees if it can read it or not. If it can, it saves the MSR number and the value it reads to a file called MSRSCAN.LOG in the directory where it was started from.

What I'd really like is if lots of you could run the program and send the produced file to me (either pm or email to michael at the domain emboss.co.nz). If you could include things such as the motherboard, CPU details (TBredA, Barton, etc, essentially what you get off any normal CPUID program) both stock and what it's being run at, motherboard details (type, revision, BIOS version), and ideally stepping codes (AQZFA etc) and datecode (0330 etc). And anything else you're doing different from normal :)

You can grab it at
http://www.emboss.co.nz/k7d/downloads/msrdump/
The source code is included for those of you who don't like unknown binaries :) (you can assemble it with NASM). In the same directory is a sample run from my computer (2x Barton 2500's modded to MP2600's, running on a K7D).

Put it on a boot floppy (NOT a boot CD as it needs to write files) and run it that way. For best speed, make sure emm386.exe and himem.sys are not on the disk. It will run through all 4 billions MSRs in about 5 minutes (CPU speed dependant), logging any ones that it finds to MSRSCAN.LOG on the disk.

OK, for those of you with no floppy disk, I've written up a program that reads known-good MSRs. I can't do a full MSR scan under Windows, since if a MSR is invalid it throws a GPF, and Windows really doesn't like GPFs in kernel drivers ...

Also, some MSRs appear to be slightly problematic, in that they work using my DOS program, but BSOD Windows. I've marked these down in the scanner as ones to avoid, but they do appear to contain some useful information so running the DOS-mode scanner is still preferred.

So, without further ado, the Windows version is at
http://www.emboss.co.nz/k7d/downloads/msrdump/k7msrdump.0.01.win32.zip

It's a console program that uses a patched CrystalCPUID driver (I don't the MS DDK so I can't write my own driver) to support the "secret" MSRs. Extract the two files into a directory and run. The disk-thrashing that goes on is because it's flushing the file buffers every MSR so you can tell me if which MSRs BSOD your machine :) (none should, but if they do I'll add them to the exclusion list in a later version).

edit: Of course I'll publish anything I find :)

Back