• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

You can still get 'em... ZZF and SL6Z3's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yep... me too... just got a Z3 from ZipZoom and also one from NewEgg. The 3rd one comes today from MemoryLabs (I know that is a Z3 because it was a special order)

so tonight I begin testing, hopefully find a good 'un !!

i was actually hoping that one of the 3 would have been a 'D1' step since I haven't had such great luck with the Z3's but hopefully these will be different.

pack dates were:
11/15, batch 3335A390
11/21, batch 3331A713

dont have the 3rd yet.

ALLRIGHT:D :D GONNA HAVE ME SOME FUN TONITE!!!

Z3s.jpg

sooo.. what do you guys do with the chips that dont OC as well as you want them to? do you just RMA for a new one?

well I'm sad to say, 5 hrs later and those Z3s were a BIG letdown.

all of them were Costa Ricas

1) wouldn't even boot @250fsb
2) booted up to 290fsb but only prime stable @275
3) topped out around 264fsb

so I went back to my 'old' chip (the one in my sig) for now... I may try getting an Abit AI7 just to see if it's a problem with my mobo but I don't think so.

:mad: grrr!

Sorry to hear your woes on the Costa Rican. I have one nearly the same as yours. It is a week 32 with a pack date of 11/06 .

My Costa Rican 2.4 will run 292fsb pretty stably @ 1.6 vcore. (I had 2 reboots at that setting while running prime tt with no error reports.. ram related?) I think the chip would go faster but am near the max cap of my ram. I just got 1 stick of xms3500 now as I had to give the dual channel ocz gold back to the wife :(
Im still playing with this one and havning fun.

In edit. After looking at the pics of your boxes I realized that I have one that is exactly (fpo batch 3332A555) the same as the top one in your pic. I guess that adds to the theory that weeks and pack dates and chip assembly locations don't mean beans.

2nd edit. And yes I have an AI7 :)

Last edited:
yeah pack dates and Z3's don't mean squat a.f.a.i.k

maybe 5-6 months ago when they first came out the z3's were 'miracle' chips but I think maybe Intel has gotten better at binning them and these recent ( anything >11/03) packs are not performing any better than D1's or anything else.

I just ordered an AI7 , can't wait to get it looks like a sweet mobo just wish it had gigabit LAN but hey you cant have it all... I will put a PCI gigE card in there.:cool:

we'll see if I can squeeze a few more Fsb' s out of that Abit

mines (2.4c SL6Z3 Costa Rica) up to 275fsb so far, but needs better cooling. 51c or so under load scares me.

just how hot can these things go?

INTEL says you are OK up to 70C (!!!) but that is totally ludicrous.... anything over 50C for any length of time is unhealthy for your CPU ... your goal should be high 20's to low 30's @idle, low to mid-40's under load (air-cooling)

a good W/C rig should keep you under 40C no matter what

and phase-change (vapo, prommie) ... well thats another story altogether:cool:

luckman, seems you've got no luck. mine boots and runs fine at 300fsb for days on end, prime fails as soon as i turn my fans down even a TAD. so my temps are the prob. at 3.6GHz it climbs rapidly up to 59-63c.

my water setup that's arriving in about 3 days should give me a comfy 300fsb. :eek:

btw, this is the first 2.4c i've tried. sl6z3 from zzf. :D

luckman, seems you've got no luck

LOL... :p

OK......... questions:

1) what vcore you usin'? (63C is HOT!!)
jawdrop.gif

2) is that on the MAX3 in your sig, or a different mobo?
3) what W/C setup did you order? (just curious- I am lookin' at WC soon)
3) can you pls. tell me the winning lotto #s for the $177mill megamillions drawing next Tuesday? :p

no seriously, you are lucky to get a 2.4 that does 3.6 on air on your FIRST TRY...
trustme.gif
that is some lucky $hyte.

rock on

Back