• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

You can still get Windows 10 Upgrade Free

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daddyjaxx

I have an Alienware Alpha that I never used for sale on eBay. It came with Windows 8.1. I did an in place upgrade to Windows 10 Creator's update and I'll be a monkey's uncle if it didn't activate. I checked it and it was activated. If I knew that worked, I would have installed Windows 7 on another machine and did an in place upgrade instead of reusing a 10 license that was dormant.

I was reading, on a very dubois web site, there are people claiming that during the free upgrade they installed the same win 7 key on multiple computers and that they activated under win10, is this even possible?
IF so, why would microsoft allow such, are they making that much off of the data mining?
they also link to a site you can buy a win10 pro key for less than $30, things that make me go HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Hmm interesting. I've got a Dell Inspiron E1750 that I'm working on with hardware upgrades ( Ram, Cpu & Gpu) and I've got Win7 on it. Maybe after I finish my upgrades, I'll see if I can get Win10 on it :)

Yes, people have been reporting this on the forums since the end of 'free upgrade'... thanks for another confirmation! There are two theories why Windows 10 is still free.

1. People working for Microsoft have said that moving everyone to a single OS is easier to manage, patch, etc. So they say, that's why they want us all on Windows 10, more so than wanting to enforce a one time Windows 10 license fee.

2. Us actually using Windows 10 is a bigger source of revenue for Microsoft - from which a logical question arises as to how and why?

are you saying that microsoft would rather give you a copy of 10 than send it a deactivate signal?
I can see it being easier to manage a single os.

I was reading, on a very dubois web site, there are people claiming that during the free upgrade they installed the same win 7 key on multiple computers and that they activated under win10, is this even possible?
IF so, why would microsoft allow such, are they making that much off of the data mining?
they also link to a site you can buy a win10 pro key for less than $30, things that make me go HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

I don't remember where, but I did read that they are not using product keys in W10, it's tied to your hardware instead. So if you have an activated copy of 7/8, it ticks a box & lets you upgrade, but doesn't flag that product key as still being used once you are using 10.

I'm going to try it on my new machine, I only want windows for benchmarking, so don't want to buy a new copy just for that.

FYI: even if you use a craccke dversion of W7, when you upgrade to 10, you get a fully licensed version! So, it is really FREE!

WHAT????????
That would mean that I could download a fully infected, pirated win iso and get a legit install?????????

if it's given, it can't be piracy.
or...... it might be a fine line I don't understand, but since there is no modding of the software I don't think you can even call it hacking, can you?

It is incorrect that this applies to all invalid Windows 7/8 keys.
Just because some machines go through, that is *not* a general rule.

We are talking about having a genuine, valid Windows 7/8 key and from it being able to move to Windows 10 (if you want to) without extra charges.

I think as long as windows 7 says its activated it will upgrade with the assistive tech webstie.

My overall impression is that Microsoft is much more interested in making sure that as many people as possible are using an activated Windows 10 installation than they are about how they get it that way. Makes me think that at some point they may move to a subscription model, especially since they claim Windows 10 is the last version.

Last edited:
with MS data mining us like they do, I dont think I am interested in a subscription model at all. No choice to stay out of the pool- give us that isht for free

My overall impression is that Microsoft is much more interested in making sure that as many people as possible are using an activated Windows 10 installation than they are about how they get it that way. Makes me think that at some point they may move to a subscription model, especially since they claim Windows 10 is the last version.

A theory that sounds likely enough to make me want to buy a few W7/8.1 product keys from Kinguin so I have a sufficient reserve for the future. LOL

Speaking of Kinguin, I bought a Windows 10 product key from them the other day and yesterday when I went to use it I got the message, "This product key has already been used on another computer. Please purchase a valid copy of Windows."

Back