• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

You can still get Windows 10 Upgrade Free

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well Kinguin requires all kinds of screenies before, during and after failed activation attempt as well as screenies of the online conversation with Microsoft support in order to process an invalid activation key claim:

WINDOWS ACTIVATIONMY KEY FOR WINDOWS OEM IS NOT WORKING

Firstly, please make sure that you have installed the correct Windows version. Download links for the installation files are always available on the product page in the Activation Details tab.

Also, please keep in mind that since this is an OEM license this key cannot be used to upgrade or downgrade - you have to perform a clean installation.

If you have installed the correct Windows version and you are still unable to make use of your license (for example due to an error 0xC004C008), please use the automated phone system as in most cases this method solves the issue. In order to start the phone activation please type “SLUI 04” in the search box on the taskbar and press “Enter”. Then follow the instructions on the screen to activate Windows.

In case of any trouble with the activation, please remember that you can always contact Microsoft support via LiveChat for additional assistance with the process.

If they confirm that you are unable to activate your license due to an issue with the code, then please provide us with the following unedited screenshots:

1. with the confirmation from MS LiveChat Support that this particular key is indeed unusable;
2. with the entered key before the activation;
3. with the error message you received;
4. with the details of the current version of the system.

Please make sure that the screenshots are full and uncropped. Your whole screen should be visible in it, including the Windows taskbar with the time/date.

Sheesh!

It happened again on another post. I installed Windows 10 from scratch last night and did not enter a product key. This is brand new hardware, 7700k and Maximus IX, that I have never used before and had no OS. I went to check the activation status and lo and behold it was activated. MS keeps a list of your devices on your account and when they last connected to MS. I wish they would include the keys as well so that I could figure this out. I could start a business. You want Windows 10 Pro for 50.00, let me install it for you. I have a valid product key, but I apparently am special and don't need to use it. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Because M$ is usually so eager to help with OEM installations. :rolleyes:

Actually before I could download Win 7 yesterday, I had to enter a key. It came back that I was eligible to download OEMWIN7PRO64.

It happened again on another post. I installed Windows 10 from scratch last night and did not enter a product key. This is brand new hardware, 7700k and Maximus IX, that I have never used before and had no OS. I went to check the activation status and lo and behold it was activated. MS keeps a list of your devices on your account and when they last connected to MS. I wish they would include the keys as well so that I could figure this out. I could start a business. You want Windows 10 Pro for 50.00, let me install it for you. I have a valid product key, but I apparently am special and don't need to use it. :)

What I suspect is actually happening is the unique hardware id (embedded in the motherboard) is being tracked, so it sees that the prior OS associated with the hardware is 'upgrade eligible' and activates. Meaning, ANY computer with a prior version of Windows installed that was eligible for the free upgrade is still eligible. For brand new hardware, never before activated with a copy of Windows, I'm not sure how that would work. Only thing I could imagine is that the hardware id is on a list of upgrade/activation eligible boards (perhaps from a OE who is using them?).

I've personally done several Win 10 upgrades recently on older PCs where I used the Windows 7 key that came with the computer to install/activate. Using this media from Microsoft you can do in-place upgrades or fresh installs:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I haven't tried installing Win10 on any brand new hardware since I haven't had any brand spankin' new stuff cross my path (like a custom build) that needed Win10.

This isn't piracy since Microsoft is literally allowing us to do this. Since they determine if the license key can activate, it would be for them to decide if that's not the case. They would simply deny activation. But instead it appears that they are still allowing free upgrades under the prior terms/planned rollout. Anyone crawl through the EULA to verify this?

I suspect Pinky's explanation explains what we have been experiencing.

BTW, this is an interesting read about the 'always free' Windows 10 install...

https://www.howtogeek.com/244678/you-dont-need-a-product-key-to-install-and-use-windows-10/

Good read, Pinky. What they outline has been my experience pretty much except I don't think I've seen a water mark yet, I don't think. I use an unactivated copy of Windows 10 on my test bed where I'm frequently changing motherboards. Not really anyway to get around that and I'm certainly not going to purchase a retail license everytime I swap motherboards on my test bed.

No, this means you can use Windows 10 without activating it. I've done that plenty of times. You can't change the themes and you do get the watermark, but it specifically shows that Windows is not activated. I am getting installs that are being activated without a key or signing on to my MS account. It happened again yesterday. I restored my Alienware 15 to factory state, which had 8.1 in the factory state that was upgraded to 10 during the free window.. I did an in place upgrade without entering a key or signing on to my MS account. It again activated. After I did sign on to my MS account, it showed two systems named Alienware 15 assigned to my account; one that phoned home before the restore and one after. I am positive that if you do in place upgrades, you still get Windows 10 free.

No, this means you can use Windows 10 without activating it. I've done that plenty of times. You can't change the themes and you do get the watermark, but it specifically shows that Windows is not activated. I am getting installs that are being activated without a key or signing on to my MS account. It happened again yesterday. I restored my Alienware 15 to factory state, which had 8.1 in the factory state that was upgraded to 10 during the free window.. I did an in place upgrade without entering a key or signing on to my MS account. It again activated. After I did sign on to my MS account, it showed two systems named Alienware 15 assigned to my account; one that phoned home before the restore and one after. I am positive that if you do in place upgrades, you still get Windows 10 free.

This is not the same as what we're talking about, DaddyJ. Any machine that at any time has had Windows 10 installed is eligible to have it reinstalled any number of times, even if in the interim some other OS was put on it.

Still haven't seen any watermark. Is it obvious?

I fresh installed yesterday using a windows 7 home premium upgrade dvd. Installed it, left key blank & had the watermark in the bottom right saying it wasn't legit. Started up the installer again, upgraded using the same dvd, entered the upgrade key & it activated.

I then used the link at the start of this thread & upgraded to 10 no problems.It did have a popup saying that I may have been the victim of pirated software or something, but still activated right after that.

I used the same method last year on my other computer using the same dvd.

Well Kinguin requires all kinds of screenies before, during and after failed activation attempt as well as screenies of the online conversation with Microsoft support in order to process an invalid activation key claim:

WINDOWS ACTIVATIONMY KEY FOR WINDOWS OEM IS NOT WORKING

Firstly, please make sure that you have installed the correct Windows version. Download links for the installation files are always available on the product page in the Activation Details tab.

Also, please keep in mind that since this is an OEM license this key cannot be used to upgrade or downgrade - you have to perform a clean installation.

If you have installed the correct Windows version and you are still unable to make use of your license (for example due to an error 0xC004C008), please use the automated phone system as in most cases this method solves the issue. In order to start the phone activation please type “SLUI 04” in the search box on the taskbar and press “Enter”. Then follow the instructions on the screen to activate Windows.

In case of any trouble with the activation, please remember that you can always contact Microsoft support via LiveChat for additional assistance with the process.

If they confirm that you are unable to activate your license due to an issue with the code, then please provide us with the following unedited screenshots:

1. with the confirmation from MS LiveChat Support that this particular key is indeed unusable;
2. with the entered key before the activation;
3. with the error message you received;
4. with the details of the current version of the system.

Please make sure that the screenshots are full and uncropped. Your whole screen should be visible in it, including the Windows taskbar with the time/date.

Sheesh!

Did you ever get that straightened out? I'm curious because I've mentioned on OCF a few times, and if it's a bad deal I don't want to steer anyone there. They're on hold for me until I find out.

Recently I've noticed that every Win7 key which I was trying was activating Win10 ( I have older Win7/8 OEM, academic and MSDN keys). I was installing fresh Win10 without key, then I was clicking on activate button, adding Win7 key and it was signing as Win10 and registering my motherboard ID in their database. Just saying that as it didn't work couple of months ago.

Back