• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

You know how they talk about "reduction in CPU life" when you overvolt too much.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackjackel

You know how they talk about "reduction in CPU life" when you overvolt too much.

I'm wondering exactly HOW MUCH of a reduction in life we're talking about?

I'm assuming a processor is designed to run maybe 25 years maybe 50 years if not overclocked and not overvolted.

Now, I own a q6600, its max voltage is around 1.6 (i think). Now lets say I run it at 1.7 or 1.8 (assume voltmod or something)... also assume that its being cooled sufficiently, lets say it stays at the top recommended temp which is 70 degrees.

How long is this processer going to run under those conditions? say, 1 year? 5 years?

I ask because I know I'll be upgrading in a year or so, and perhaps for the last year of my proc's life I Want to overvolt the crap out of it and maybe run it at 4ghz or something, use it for a year, and toss it when it fries.

most of that stuff (like transisters) can be overvoltaged, as long as the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junction_temperature doesnt go over, and it does, because no matter how well you cool, you cant cool the "other side" :)
and the notoriously overdiscussed http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromigration

I have not looked inside the actual processor (other than the pictures), but most of the electronic gate things of more normal size get tiny part of the gate failing. My Words, when it is being pushed to hard.

nobody is "aligning molecules" to make this stuff , they are some 10,000 angstroms away from doing that :) these things are bathed and etched, and doped, it is a more organic process , because they couldnt hope to align every molecule.
It ends up with ridges and crests and valleys and imperfections, all at a level that takes a electron microscope to see. and it Works , cause its a miracle:)

so some smaller part of the whole of the worst of the transister items will get worse and worse, little tiny molecular things will change.
So unless you Pop it, if your over pressuring it over and over again, in time parts of it will be more flakey than they were by tiny ammounts.
so things change internally, and things will get worse.

of course there is also slamming it so hard, or releacing the cooling so fast that the termal monitoring cant react, and popping it in one move.

Last edited:
Without overvolting cpus should live not less than 10 years but it's almost impossible to say how long will your cpu work without problems on higher voltage ... probably you will change cpu 2-3 times before it dies ;) . It seems that each new gen is more fragile.
If you are going to oc Q6600 on P5WDH then you won't need much higher voltage as your board will hit wall on ~350-380MHz FSB ... for that you will need maybe 10% higher cpu voltage that is in about safe values for longer work.

Without overvolting cpus should live not less than 10 years but it's almost impossible to say how long will your cpu work without problems on higher voltage ... probably you will change cpu 2-3 times before it dies ;) . It seems that each new gen is more fragile.
If you are going to oc Q6600 on P5WDH then you won't need much higher voltage as your board will hit wall on ~350-380MHz FSB ... for that you will need maybe 10% higher cpu voltage that is in about safe values for longer work.

actually i just got a p5k deluxe. I think ill be able to go to 3.6 on this. I did hit a wall at 355 on the P5WDH which is why I got this new board.

Those super-high voltages are for suicide runs and are not about any kind of 24/7 stability. Even with all that voltage and awesome cooling I don't think you'll be able to find 24/7 stability much above 3.6GHz unless you get a golden chip. I had 1 Q6600 that was 24/7 stable at 3.7GHz on air, but most I played with topped at 3.6GHz for 24/7 stability and 3.8GHz for suicide bench runs on winter air.

Back