• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

getting my q6600 to 3700mhz or even 3.8 stable.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackjackel

THIS "TOP POST" UPDATED 8/1/2011
BIOS SCREENSHOT BELOW UPDATED 8/1/2011

attachment.php

===================================================

Hi all, I just got a new motherboard, p5k deluxe, I'm now typing this at 3.6ghz running vcore 1.525 @ 400fsb, all other voltages set on auto.

My goal now is to run 3.6 at lower voltages so that I can bump up to 3.65 or 3.7 without using so much voltage and putting out so much heat. I have suspicions that the instability is not coming from the processor because at one point it primed for 10 hours straight and crashed within minutes of me sitting down to use it (particularly when moving the mouse around)

3.65 runs stable at 1.625 volts (yeah, i know, ridiculous).
3.6 runs stable at 1.525 volts

Basically I Came here to ask which settings I should play with to get to 3.7 or 3.8 stable?

I should point out that my temps are starting to get dangerous, but I can spare another 5 degrees on temps, coretemp reports highs of 63 on two cores and 65 on the other two, while realtemp reports highs of 65 66 and 67.

I think I Want to max out at 70, i figure 99% of the time I won't be loading all cores at once so I can spare the 5 degrees to hit 70 or even 75. TJ max on this processor is 100 degrees, its a G0 stepping.

Last edited:
1.5 is a little too much for 3.6. My two chips did that with 1.42-1.44V.

Anyway, it is time for you to learn some overclocking basics. I'd never run a chip that high with all auto settings. Go find some topics in CPU section.

Also, try following:

1. FSB Strap to North Bridge: 333 Mhz
2. DRAM Static Read Control: Disabled
3. DRAM Read Training: Disabled
4. CPU Voltage: 1.51 V or 1.52 V
5. Mem OC Charger: Disabled
6. FSB Termination Voltage: 1.40 V
7. NB Voltage: 1.42 V
8. Load-Line Calibration: Enabled

Should be close to stable @ 3.7.

Thanks for your suggestions, one thing:

I couldn't find "Mem OC Charger" I could only find something called overclock charge or something and there was no "disabled" I HAD to pick between auto and a set of voltages, so I left it on auto.

I'm now at 3.7 but I had to go to 1.6v to get that high. My temps are now maxing out at 80 degrees at load via coretemp and close to 72 on speedfan.

CPUZ shows vcore drooping to as low as 1.568

Looks like my limiting factor now is going to be my cooling solution :/

THE FOLLOWING IS A EASIER TO READ VERSION OF THE ABOVE:

CPU SPEED: 3700MHZ
BIOS VCORE: 1.6
CPU-Z LOAD VCORE: 1.560
CPU-Z IDLE VCORE: 1.576
TEMP MAX CORETEMP: 83
TEMP MAX SPEEDFAN: 72

Last edited:
Too much voltage for 24/7 (for me..and many)... back off the clocks. ;)

What elari isnt telling you is that ALL chips are different. Just b/c his needs those volts at those clockspeeds, doesnt mean yours can do it. Next, the sweet spot, even for a water cooled G0 Q6600 is like 3.4-3.6Ghz. Keep temps no higher than what they are at, and lower the clocks and voltages (if I was you).

Too much voltage for 24/7 (for me..and many)... back off the clocks. ;)

What elari isnt telling you is that ALL chips are different. Just b/c his needs those volts at those clockspeeds, doesnt mean yours can do it. Next, the sweet spot, even for a water cooled G0 Q6600 is like 3.4-3.6Ghz. Keep temps no higher than what they are at, and lower the clocks and voltages (if I was you).

I won't be running 24/7, when I'm not using the computer it will go on standby. so at the very very max i will be using it 16 hours a day. I'd say average use might be say 8 or 10 hours a day, depending. Most of that time I won't be running at 100% load as I barely even play videogames anymore.

besides, I don't care if it fries in a year, or two. I'll be ready to upgrade by then.

Is it the voltage you are worrying about or the temps? I've read posts where one person claimed to have run at 1.6 for 8 months...

Thats not meant to be taken literally. 24/7 as in whenever the computer is on its too much voltage.

oh ok, is it just too much voltage by itself? Or is it ok if you have enough cooling?

What would you consider the max safe voltage for my proc is?

Hi all, I just got a new motherboard,
p5k deluxe, I'm now typing this at 3.6ghz running vcore 1.5 @ 400fsb, all other voltages set on auto.

Here's a thread I saw that has some nice screenshots of the p5k deluxe bios:
http://forums.hexus.net/hexus-hardware/110267-c2d-overclocking-guide-beginners-p5k-add.html

There are a bunch of new voltage settings that I have no clue about, cpu refrence voltage? NB refrence voltage?

Basically I Came here to ask which settings I should play with to get to 3.7 or 3.8 stable?

I primed at 3.7 for a lil bit and crashed, i also tried 3.65 and also crashed.

I should point out that my temps are starting to get dangerous, but I can spare another 5 degrees on temps, coretemp reports highs of 63 on two cores and 65 on the other two, while realtemp reports highs of 65 66 and 67.

I think I Want to max out at 70, i figure 99% of the time I won't be loading all cores at once so I can spare the 5 degrees to hit 70 or even 75. TJ max on this processor is 100 degrees, its a G0 stepping.

is the p5k deluxe similar to the p5k epu?

What elari isnt telling you is that ALL chips are different. Just b/c his needs those volts at those clockspeeds, doesnt mean yours can do it. Next, the sweet spot, even for a water cooled G0 Q6600 is like 3.4-3.6Ghz.
Yes, forgot to tell that. Some need 1.6V, some 1.4V, some won't even reach 3.6Ghz. That extra 0.1Ghz you want isn't probably worth all the trouble. I would say stay below 1.55V.

It seems I have settled for 3650.

I am stable at 1.575 vcore in bios and 1.536 load vcore in cpu-z. I.552 idle vcore in cpu-z.

I'm not 100% sure if this is stable yet as I have not primed for 24 hours, but if it asks for more juice then this it looks I'll be going back down to 3600.

The only thing holding me back now is my cooling solution I guess.

I can run my Q6600 at 3.6Ghz within Intels max 1.55vcore. But to be stable at my current 3.8Ghz speed I have to push the Vcore upto 1.6v. This is on a G0 stepping but its a high VID of 1.32. Atleast I think that high compared to a lot of G0 chips out there.

Those are solid clocks. Voltage is too high for my tastes 24/7, but keep temps in line and all boils be well. :)

Since you're doing it at high speed just for fun and careless of its longevity. That's a huge voltage going through the poor chip. You're doing this for benching or as a 24/7 machine?
Expect a big energy bill if you did a 24 hrs prime on it.
Just my 2 cents.

Good progress though. :)
3.7GHz probably need about 1.43v underload
http://i48.tinypic.com/t8usrn.jpg

Last edited:
Those are solid clocks. Voltage is too high for my tastes 24/7, but keep temps in line and all boils be well. :)

Voltage is too high for me too :( Considering I've seen the same speed at much lower Vcore than mine.

But I do have a high VID chip. Plus I was hoping to replace that Q9650 I got off you earthdog :p

Temps don't really go over 65c often when running prime. I've seen 67c at the most on a hot day.

My first q6600 was an early g0, it spent the majority of its life with me at 1.4875 (2 years) that was good for 3.6, 3.7 took 1.5375, and 3.8 came at 1.5875. My second q6600 did 3.4 with 1.25, 3.6 came at 1.375 and it ran waay hotter then my original that took a bunch of volts. Give what the chip wants, if you find it getting hot then back it down :) Dont worry about others thoughts or fears about voltage, because more then likey the are wrong :thup:

I give my 32nm chip more then you 65nm guys give yours :blah:

:D

It seems I have settled for 3650.

I am stable at 1.575 vcore in bios and 1.536 load vcore in cpu-z. I.552 idle vcore in cpu-z.

I'm not 100% sure if this is stable yet as I have not primed for 24 hours, but if it asks for more juice then this it looks I'll be going back down to 3600.

The only thing holding me back now is my cooling solution I guess.

Temps are peaking at 87, 87, 89, 89... realtemp
peaking at 87, 87, 89, 89 coretemp

maybe i should back down just to get the temps under control, though I don't think I Care much as I Won't be running the cores at 100% usage all the time anyways...

Dont worry about others thoughts or fears about voltage, because more then likey the are wrong :thup:

I give my 32nm chip more then you 65nm guys give yours :blah:

:D
Riiight...take a look around the net freeagent. Or if you want, Intel spec (1.5v). Will it die tomorrow? No, likely not, but the life of that chip running 1.5xv with almost 90C max temps (80C non stress) will be shortened dramatically.

How can my OPINION be wrong? Maybe we are more conservative than you, but he's almost .1 over intel spec with pretty warm temps to boot. You can pay for his borked processor in time, not me.

I just dropped back down to 3.6, not because I'm afraid it will die, the voltage, or anything of that matter. I did it because just now when I dropped it back down to 3.6 at 1.5125 vcore the heat difference is VERY noticeable. I live in southern california and it's hot nowadays.

At 3.65 my room was a SAUNA, at 3.6 its still very hot but its much more tolerable.

So I guess I'm setting at the following:

3600mhz
1.5125 bios vcore
1.472 CPU-Z load vcore.
1.488 cpu-Z idle vcore.
temps maxing out at 78/79 with coretemp and realtemp.

I do have another g0 Q6600 chip to pop in there and try out, I'll do that sometime next week. I'll use the same thread to try to see how far I can push that one, hopefully it will clock higher with less heat.

I wouldn't expect it to. Anything 3.6+ is gravy. But then again you are more brave as far as voltages. ;)

GL!

Back