• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Your Main Machine Compared To Your Backup? Which Is Better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fr3@k3r

lol my 2 machines are almost quite the same except for the video card and hd...

Main Rig: AMD64 Gaming Machine

Motherboard: DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra-D: 5.10.05 DFI Beta Bios
Processor: AMD64 3000+ Venice @ Stock
Memory: 1GB Corsair XMS PRO PC4000 @ 3-3-3-5 Stock 2.6v
Power Supply: OCZ Modstream 520w
Graphics Card: Gigabyte 6600GT PCIE 580/1160
Hard Drives: 160GB IDE Boot, 200GB Sata Files

Backup Rig: AMD64 Gaming Machine

Motherboard: Gigabyte K8NS Ultra 939: F6 Bios
Processor: AMD64 3000+ Winchester @ Stock
Memory: 1GB Kingston Hyperx PC4000 @ 2.5-2-2-5 Stock 2.6v
Power Supply: OCZ Powerstream 420w
Graphics Card: FX5500 AGP @ Stock
Hard Drive: 20GB IDE Boot

so what about you? how close does you backup machine come to your main machine?

My new main rig is going to tare my current main rig a new one. I am going to be going from a 2600mobile @ 2.5ghz to a P4 640 which will probably OC to at least ~3.7 (it's a china chip :(). I don't game much so going to intel will be a huge benefit for me. Even though it's a P4 I hear the 64-bit chips can hold their own with games. The rigs are in my sig BTW.

By the very nature of the name, my main machine is better than my backup. The only thing they are close in is processor speed.

3.0 > 2.66
1 GB > 512 MB
250 GB > 40 GB
X800XT > Number 9 :p

Fr3@k3r said:
errrm never went towards the dark side.. aka intel because not only are the more expensive in most cases, but they tend to overheat alot more :/

They run a little hotter, but I just bought an XP-120...so the heat should not be an issue. Besides, I have just bought a case with 2 120mm fans and great flow. The chips are more expensive and the mobos are slightly more expensive, but outside of those things I don't think they are THAT much more than an AMD system. Especially if you are looking towards the higher end AMD chips/systems.

My main gaming computer is faster but only has a 36GB Raptor for space. It's also my show computer that goes in the living room for guests to use and wow them with the crazy lights. It also has the Audigy and Logitech Z5300 speakers to blow people away with. It has access to the server and all the multimedia files so it's like an entertainment pc. The backup in my bedroom I use to manage large files and to work on other people's computer. I'm able to play my favorite game Medal of Honor on both which doesn't need a hardcore system to begin with. Speed wise they are almost the same.

Main rig isn't that much better than my secondary except graphics wise..
[email protected] = 3.4@4 (550 CHINA's :D)
P5AD2 < AA8XE
X600XT < X800XL
1gb = 1gb
2.2TB > 200gb
W2K As Pro < XP pro
Ok, hdd, gpu and OS is the biggest difference.

//Christian

My main and backup are almost the same except for video card. (see sig)
The main rig has a P4 3.0c, overclocked, RAID 0 array, CD burner, and a 9800 pro.
The 2nd has a P4 3.0E, not OC'ed, 36 gig raptor, TV tuner AIW 9000 card and DVD burner.
I guess if I combined the two I could have a nice computer too.

3.0C OC'ed to 3.4 GHz
2 gigs PC3200
36 gig raptor boot disk
3x120 gig WD for storage
DVD burner
CD Burner
Sell the 3.0E on the intel mobo, the case with side window and the two vid cards and get a new PCI TV tuner card and a X800XL. nah, I'll wait and upgrade to an Intel socket 775 or AMD 939 when the time comes.

For number crunching, my backup rig is faster. For gaming, my main rig. The backup rig is my 2.8 lappy with integrated video, the main one is a XP1800 with a softmodded 9500. Depending on what I want to do, I can choose the best system :D

EDIT: Just noticed I wrote "secondary" instead of "main" :rolleyes:
JigPu

Last edited:
I have my dad's computer if mine brakes down but its not mine so I don't want to call it my backup rig, its a cheap *** Celeron but its great for web browsing and thats about all that computer does...

I have three backup rigs:
1. Athlon 1200, 256 mb ram, kg7raid, tnt2 : No good for gaming.
2. Duron 1600, k7n2g-ilsr,512 mb ram, onboard vga : No good for gaming
3. Duron 800, K7n2-l, 256 mb ram, mx4000 : No good for gaming

Hmmm, it seems that I really don't have a backup-rig after all....

My backup = 750 Mhz Celeron with 128 mg of Ram and intel integrated graphics :(
But I never use it. My main rig is as durable as volvo.

My backup rig ( also Seti/Climateprediction ) is Barton2500+, NF7-s, 512Mb kingmax and AGP Vanta 16Mb :)
This rig doesnt have monitor and case, I only use it for Boinc.
Primary rig is in sig.

See my sig, rig #1 is for portability/internet, rig #2 is a server/backup, rig #3 is for gaming/anything needing raw speed.

BTW, even tho Celerons are not considered gaming chips, that rig plays Farcry with all settings on high, averaging 50-80fps.

Back