• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

z170 Mark 1 / Memory question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ben S

Registered
Hi,
I'm 90% sure I'll be using this board for upgrade to 6600k and DDR4:
http://www.overclockers.com/asus-sabertooth-z170-mark-1-motherboard-review/

4x4GB will be plenty and for 4x4 on this this board GSkill recommended to me:
Tridentz 3200C16
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231913

or

RJ V 3200C16
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231901

I've read some have trouble getting the board to run RAM higher than 2666, (6600k and the BIOS differences?), and if I read it right the review above has 3000 runnning at 3000.

What RAM speed might I expect with, this board's settings/ 6600k / and all 4 slots being filled?
What RAM would you get?

Thanks

I would get 2x8GB instead of 4x4GB.
Anything 2800 CL14, 3000 CL15, 3200 CL15 will be just fine.

You won't have a problem running any of those.

2x8GB for upgrade purposes only?

"Running any of those" at those speeds?

For the most part yes, 2x8GB for 16GB gives you an easier option to get more RAM if for some reason you need 32GB of RAM at some point, versus being locked in with the 4x4GB sticks. The cost should also be quite similar as well.

3200 is guaranteed on probably every motherboard. ASUS boards can handle ~3600. Higher depends from board. What ATM means is that regardless if you take 2800, 3000 or 3200, in games and most other applications performance will be about the same ... or maybe you won't feel the difference. When you can't see the difference then there is no point to pay more.
Also as others said, get 2x8GB. it will overclock easier if you wish to try and in general will cause less problems in the future. Already it's harder to sell 2x4 or 4x4GB kits than 2x8GB and think that soon 2x16GB will be more popular.

Thanks for the input guys.

The board is mostly for productivity. Light gaming sometimes. Those reasons then aesethics is why I chose it.

If I ever need more than 16GB, which I doubt, I can replace 2 dimms.

I understand that 4 dimms affect controller/memory clocking.

Based on real reviews (end user reviews taken with grain of salt) and other places I've seen, it's appeared to me this board has trouble/won't post @ 3200. Maybe this isn't correct. Maybe someone could link where it does. Maybe that's why this review ^ runs 2x4GB @3000? Don't know for sure.

Also appears the BIOS's memory options (at least Auto OC if not more?) is different from ROG/some other boards.

I'm just looking for a stable daily OC at the upper end of what this board can do, with 4x4GB.

I wouldn't want to buy slower than what it's capable of.

ATM I'm thinking 3200C ? and if I had to, manually downclock?

Also, there was a BIOS update not long ago, 03/03/16, and haven't looked yet to see why or what it was for.

Any of the speed/timing combos I mentioned will be just fine on the board.
Do 2x8GB, leave your options open for the future. It's also easier on the IMC.

Back