• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Z170, please help me

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shogun1987

Hello guys, i wanna build a new pc and i have a 980 ti from palit and 16 gig of the new trident z and h110 gtx and now im in a clinch to get which mobo... In history i get some nice sabertooth builds and never happy with the rog series or the msi gaming ( 2 times doa ) now i dont know, i do some OC from board, im not so into oc

Msi xpower titanium
Asus deluxe
Or cheaper gigabyte gaming 7

Im a semi pro cs go player and i wanna stream now.. I use for gaming and editing and surfing. Or what would u say for gaming? Another choice? Thanks for your help! Im from switzerland so sorry for my bad english! Thanks everyone for reading this.

Last edited:
Really, you have no need for such high end boards, period. You are overbuying for features you wont be using, likely.

That said, DOA is just plum bad luck. I wouldn't shun brands because of that personally. I have reviewed the MSI Z170A Gaming M7 and loved it. Same with the Giga Z170 Gaming 7. That said, so long as the board has the features you need, you can purchase a less expensive board for example, the MSI Z170 Gaming M5, or Giga Z170 UD5, or ASRock Z170 Extreme 4 or ex6.

Hey thanks, what u mean with overgeard? For gaming is the gaming 7 or 5 enough? For what are the boards then? Ehm 1 question more... Fot gmaing normal ssd? Or what should i buy? Thanks, what i said im not so into this

Hey thanks, what u mean with overgeard?
Overbuying... you are paying more for no reason if you buy the boards you listed is what that means.

For gaming is the gaming 7 or 5 enough?
Yes. That is why I suggested them!

For what are the boards then?
The XPower Gaming Titanium is made for extreme (read: sub ambient) overclocking and has gaming features on it. Since you are not overclocking much if at all, there is no need for it. The ASUS Deluxe just has a slew of things. Do you need all its features? Look them up and see.

Fot gmaing normal ssd? Or what should i buy?
What do you mean by normal SSD?

Hello thanks for you replys! You are right in all ways... Yeah i mean z170 has sata extress m2 and many more, what would you buy? As storage? For win and gaming? Yeah in switzerland is the gaming 7 230.- euros and the 5 200.- the titanium 270.- on sale... So i should go witj the 5?! No nice to have? Thanks for the help

NVMe based M.2 drive is what I would get. They are just now starting to come out. Which one? No idea, I haven't reviewed any at this time. Truth be told, a modern, standard SATA based SSD would be fine. An NVMe based drive is only going to load your games faster.... but what is the point as there are delays for all to load when in competitions, righT?

So u would go for the gaming 5? Instead of titanium for 50-60 bugs more? Thanks for everything

Yes. Either the MSI Z170 Gaming M5, or the Gigabyte Gaming 5, or the ASRock boards. All will be fine at that price point for your listed needs.

I looked at the M.2 boards for my new MSI Z170 M7 - and they're $$$$ EXPENSIVE!!!!.
I decided a 1TB Samsung 850 vertical SSD was plenty. Good price, and pretty ridiculously good. You get better performance (at least on paper) with the 850 pro or with a true M.2 board, but in real-world performance I doubt I would have noticed it at all. SSDs are fantastic - making those a little faster still is great, but not worth my $ (when their price drops, then I'll see!)

Back