• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Z270 K3 GAMING + i7700k NEED SOMEONE TO GUIDE ME TO OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brainfart

Registered
Greetings everyone ,

I am new to overclocking and I am still in the learning process. I want to overclock my 7700k to a point that it can be stable , so far I've figured out that 4.8 ghz should do the trick.
I went in the BIOS and changed my cpu to 5 ghz by some already existing profiles/choise just to see if it boots and if it did to check temperatures, unfortunetly but as expected I got a bluescreen so I went back to the profiles and selected the one with 4.8 ghz so far seems to be booting just fine and on idle and temperatures look like this with just chrome open (+-25C room temp) | 4.png | VID is jumping from ~1.25 up to ~1.34.
I runned Valley Benchmark and after like 15 seconds I got a black screen and it crashed, so here I am looking for someone to guide me into tweaking options and help me understand more through the process.
Thanks in advance! :D

EDIT: I figured out the reason behind the black screen it was my GPU overdrive
because after the black screen crash my GPU changed profile by itself so I runned the benchmark again without the overdrive.
Results : 5.png it didnt go higher than ~65C and that was only on 1 core each time (my guess is because of the turbo boost?) for less than a second the other 3 were 40-45ish (Max.C peaks is from booting)

PC SPECS
Motherboard : Z270 K3 GAMING
GPU : ROG STRIX RX480 8G
CPU : i7 7700k
CPU COOLING : Corsair H115i
RAM : Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR4-3200MHz
PSU : EVGA SUPERNOVA 750 G2 80 GOLD PLUS

Last edited:
Set your LLC (Load Line Calibration) to one step below the highest level. That is part of why your VID is jumping around so much I'm guessing. LLC levels that out some.

The rerun your stress test. Valley will not test the CPU very well at all. You need something like the Realbench stress test or AIDA64 extreme.

That is likely NOT due to vdroop, those voltage fluctuations, but due to voltage being left on auto and VID being adjusted by the system for the set clockspeed. It is difficult to tell what LLC one may/may not need when using auto voltage as vid changes with the multiplier used. .1V vdroop would be a lot...something I've never seen in this platform. Set voltage manually 8n the bios (say 1.3V) and then see what the difference is between idle voltage and load. If you have more than .02/03V difference, then you can use LLC if you choose.

That aside, you mention running valley benchmark and cpu temps...buuuut, you are testing the cpu so it makes more sense to run a cpu centered stress test. Aida64, rog realbench... p95....etc. hitting 80c at boot doesn't bode well for real cpu stress tests...

Yes, it would be better to set the core voltage manually. You can use the offset option for that to but start with a fixed amount because it's less complicated. Try 1.27 to start with, then put LLC on the next to highest notch. Also make sure that the "All Cores" option is enabled for the CPU overclock options.

You loooooooooooooooove just adding LLC without even checking if it is needed, dont ya Trents? :)

I swear, Z270 and Z370/Z390, I RARELY needed to do it. :)

Next to the highest has been the closest to true read in every motherboard i ever had (and worked with but granted haven't been many) ?

Next to the highest has been the closest to true read in every motherboard i ever had (and worked with but granted haven't been many) ?

This, combined with the modest 1.27 static vcore should be very safe. If you look in my Sig you will see that I am running that same CPU so I have experience with it.

This is modern Intel though, K.

Gents, all I am saying is not to willy nilly add it without checking what the droop actually is. Even my OCD self doesnt use it within .02V...but I see people just saying use it without knowing this information. To each their own of course, but why use it when it isn't needed? :)

Thank you gents for taking your time to reply and look into my thread I really appreciate it!

I changed the voltage to 1.27 also set the LLC to High (auto, normal , high , turbo were the options)
results look like this on idle with room temp @~20C and cooling fans at 70% 1.png (Max.C is from booting)
VID keeps hopping around from ~1.29 to 1.3381
I also did a stress test with AIDA64 Extreme and the results look like this : 2.png / 3.png

By the way should I change the Ghz manually or should I use the pre set profile to 4.8? ( I did both for now )

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

I cant find an " All cores" option but I can see that all cores are active under the turbo boost feature

Last edited:
This is modern Intel though, K.

Gents, all I am saying is not to willy nilly add it without checking what the droop actually is. Even my OCD self doesnt use it within .02V...but I see people just saying use it without knowing this information. To each their own of course, but why use it when it isn't needed? :)

Fair enough i suppose, but checking is one of the 1st points (to me at least) in overclocking, is one of those "goes-without-saying" things i got used to doing simply because in every guide or forum thread one of the 1st things people tell you to do is adjust it. I mean, why would you want to use more/less voltage then needed. Are modern Intel motherboards (assuming Kaby Lake+) more accurate then the rest so it's not needed ?

Please host your images here at the site. After time and being idle, those links will go away. It also helps that we don't have to click to see them (says my lazy arse). :)

The temps in Coretemp are already hitting 90C so you are about at your limit. Again if you have set 1.27V the object is to have the LOAD voltage hit that same value you set in the BIOS (1.27V).

What I would do is set 1.27V manually, and leave LLC on auto. Check in Windows what your idle voltage and load voltage is... be sure to confirm these voltages with multiple programs (Coretemp, CPUz, Hwmonitor, etc).

Also, VID = stock voltage, technically. Vcore is the term for it otherwise. You can have different VIDs for different clocks when things are set to auto. There is a 'stock' voltage for each multipler. Vcore is the best term to use for core voltage when not talking stock/auto. :)

You should be overclocking everythng manually. Really, there are only a couple of settings that need to be changed.

1. Enable XMP and no other core enhancements to get memory running at speed.
2. Vcore and CPU multiplier to change speeds
3. raising power and current limits so the CPU doesn't throttle.

Fair enough i suppose, but checking is one of the 1st points (to me at least) in overclocking, is one of those "goes-without-saying" things i got used to doing simply because in every guide or forum thread one of the 1st things people tell you to do is adjust it. I mean, why would you want to use more/less voltage then needed. Are modern Intel motherboards (assuming Kaby Lake+) more accurate then the rest so it's not needed ?
Yes. It is what I said earlier. :)

Guides say this becasue they were needed back in the day and maybe now on modern AMD, I don't know. All I know is from Z170 on forward, the multiple dozen boards I have reviewed, I only used LLC maybe 2-3 times to adjust. Again, LLC goes AGAINST intel specification. Vdroop is SUPPOSED to be there by their spec. This isn't an issue as for the overclocker the voltage droop can be detrimental to stability when overclocking. I am trying to break users of this mindset of needlessly adding things when overclocking. If it is needed or wanted, go for it. But........check first instead of applying it and potentially getting overshoot. If this happens, one can lose stability on idle, especially if they lower vcore to compensate for too high LLC. Don't make things more complicated than it needs to be is my advice. :)

So, yes, you do not want more/less voltage than needed... ;)

Last edited:
I also did a second benchmark with AIDA64 with my cooling fans @ 100% and it looked like this αρχείο λήψης.png

Last edited:
Please host the images here........... :)

Click on the insert image buttonin the quick reply tool bar... or in your active reply window.

I had XMP already during the bench marks , the already set profiles have only Auto and a bunch of profiles its like I cant disable it or anything so I am guessing I should let it at "i7 7700k 4.8Ghz" ? I also have it manually changed.
By the way I just checked my Power Options on Win and I have it on "Ultimate Performance" could this be the reason that my Vcore is jumping around so much from my already set @1.27?

Sorry about that I posted it before your Reply poped up ^^

XMP enabled is good. :)

Take off all profiles (reset bios to default, enable xmp again - save and reboot) and only change what was mentioned (voltage, cpu multiplier, power limits) and LLC if you want (but it likely isn't needed and may just be part of your fluctiation.......).

Ultimate performance shouldn't have anything to do with it. It keeps performance and voltage the same (if it was on balanced speeds and voltage would be all over the map). This is likely the board and LLC causing some of the voltage fluctuations.

Quick question before I do that , the "profiles" I mention go under a choise called CPU upgrade and if I reset the bios to default it will go under Auto. Will that interfere with me manually changing the Frequency ?

No. What you are describing appears to be an included profile on the board. All options mentioned will be available without enabling this auto overclocking.

I only changed XMP and CPU Vcore to 1.27v CPU frequency was grayed out ( it was before too) only CPU clock ratio I was able to change the values.Also cpu multiplier and power limits I dont know where to look for those and what values to type :(

Is there a manual option in that dropdown?

You are going to have to dig around and look and become familiar with your bios my friend. :)

Nope there isnt :(

I looked around yesterday I also did today but I couldnt find anything or figure out something

I found an option called core ratio and changed it to 48 and under it was another option but greyed and changed to 4.8 now that I booted tho CPU-Z shows that its still 4.5Ghz

Edit: I feel stupid :bang head I justed need to use page up and page down to change the values !

Last edited:
Back