• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Z77 Board needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drydog

Hi All:

Wow, go away for awhile, and I feel inept.lol

No, I'm not quite ready to get back in the OC game myself.... At least not yet.;)

However, my son is carrying on in my place.... He's still rocking out editing games, OCing, etc.

He is in need for a new MB.... Being he doesn't have the funds for a new chip and MB. (has a 2600K) He will be going Z77.

He is using a single GPU for now. However, may go SLI or XFire within 6 months.

He has narrowed it down to two, and ask if I could get some feedback.

1. MSI-Z77 MPowerhttp://www.microcenter.com/product/401773/Z77_MPower_LGA_1155_ATX_Intel_Motherboard

2.AsRock Z77 Extreme6http://www.microcenter.com/product/395374/Z77_Extreme6_LGA_1155_ATX_Intel_Motherboard

His budget is 200 or below..

As always. All opinions, and or suggestions are welcome.

Respects
Bill

Either one of those would be a good choice, but also have a look at some ASUS offerings in that price range too. I reviewed a few Z77 boards and honestly none of them were the limiting factor when overclocking, the CPU will top out before the MB ever gets in the way.

Thanks for the reply Lvcoyote.....Glad he's on the right track.... From the research we've read so far.. It seems like the 2600k and a Z77, are more then adequate for his needs.

As far as reviews go. OcForums have some of the best out there.

Respects
Bill

Hey Bill glad to see you back! :) As for the two boards listed I would go with the ASRock over MSI. The ASRock can be had cheaper and overclocks like a beast.

If he can stretch his budget then a ASUS P8Z77-V or the V PRO or if he really wants all the bells and whistles Bill, then this one ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE. Why because it seems to be Top Dog as they say in the tests i have been reading of late! :)

Nice to see you again Bill i hope the Monitor is still holding out. AJ Regards. ;) :thup:

+1 for the Asrock board... though I have no qualms with MSI or Asus...

Either board will be fine really, which ever is most cost effective for you is the one I'd go with.

ned, Aj, and white.

Thanks for the replies!

Brenden is thinking about saving a bit more... He's looking at the AsRock extreme 9, OC Formlua, and the ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE

LOL He's finding out, that this can be very addicting...... Glad he enjoys it.... With all the other things a 16 year old could be out doing. lol

Hope to be able to stop by more often, very soon....

OCForums remains a class act in my book.

Respects
Bill

Brendon sounds like a smart kid! I know when I was 16, I wouldn't of done as much research as I do now...

Really once you get above $200, it's all about the features/bells/whistles and less about the bang for buck aspect, in my opinion. Any of the three boards you listed are good choices, I would prolly go for the Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe, cause all my builds seem to have a blue theme... Though the other two choices are solid as well... just not blue :D

((Glad to see another Missourian representing on OCF! I'm out in St. Charles sweating away on this hot day :D ))

Let us know how it goes and don't forget, we all love pictures of hardware!!!

For his uses, no doubt the Extreme 6. If he was overclocking with DI/LN2, then the MSI or the OCFormula you listed above. For his uses though, no point in spending more than the Extreme 6.

Back