• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

swiftech apogee GT for new CPU 3600, or ryzen 4000 or new i5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pinky33

I have been rocking this older apogee GT since I bought it for my q6600. I have used adapter plates for i7 950, and now i7 2700k. I am now thinking about upgrading to ryzen 5 3600 or i5. Looking how new CPU's draw about the same or less watts this water block should be fine for a decent overclock. Not looking for record breaking OC. Its nice to know I have my i7 at 4.7ghz and don't have to worry about fan noise or temps.

So my question is. Should this older water block be fine? Cant find much info on adapter plates for older block, but I have 4 adapter plates all with multiple holes,. I think one of them could work. 3d print adapter for adapter if needed, lol.

My reason for upgrading is my friend gave me his hold 1080 when he upgraded to a 1080ti and my 2600k is bottlnecking me a little. My monitor is 1440rez at 60hz and with cyberpunk coming out I am thinking a new cpu might be needed to hover around 60fps and highish settings on my nvida 1080.

I was waiting for wife to graduate and make that doctor money and just buy all new everything, but with covid she might not have a job for a year or so. So now waiting on a sale for 3600/mobo/ram and maybe a m.2 drive. Microcenter had 3600 for under $100 about 6 months ago. I should have jumped on that then. Plus they had $20 off mobo combo and 16gb ram for cheap.

Other options is to just hold out until she gets a job in a year and get ryzen 4000, 3070ti, and 1440 144hz monitor, hehe.

Thoughts, ideas, comments welcomed. Maybe cyberpunk will run fine on 2600k????

I'd wait and test the game out before you spend anything. :)

1440p isn't a CPU bound resolution with that GPU so if it is holding you back, it's only in IPC and perhaps core/thread count. Jumping up to Ryzen 3/4 series is a going to be a good leap on all fronts.

So, test the game. By that time, we should see new GPUs from AMD as well as CPUs... perhaps some Nvidia cards will be in stock late November... who knows.

An M.2 drive is timeless (in the next few months) so get one now if you find a deal...

I'm sure it will be fine unless you are pushing for every single mhz you can get. In all reality the newer blocks will get a you a couple degrees cooler but for day to day use I doubt you will notice it. For example, I still use a Raystorm on my 6600k with no problems and it is pretty old. I wouldn't sweat it and run the old block unless you want some new $100 block for a couple mhz.

Definitely would upgrade CPU though.

Thanks guys. Just wanted confirmation. Keep saving and keep an eye out for deals on new cpu upgrade build parts.

Hey Pinky, I have a couple Swiftech WBs and I'd also like to throw one of them on my AM4 system. (R5 3600)

Please let me know if you happen to find stock mounting hardware that just 'works' or works by minimal modification. I have an apogee GTZ, and a swiftech GPU block /w Apogee I style base pin plate. I think all the Apogees used pretty much the same mounting HW on the block end.

I think AM2/3 is closer to AM4 hole spacing, unfortunately I ONLY have a s775 plate.

If you can find an AM3 mount it is very easy to dremel the holes to fit AM4. I have an AM3 Apogee XL and used a side cutting bit to elongate the holes. I also used this template (print at actual size) to figure out how far & what direction I needed to go.

Back