• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Z77 Mpower PWM Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The molex powered splitter was the one that was going to the CPU PWM header and was being controlled properly the SATA powered splitter was plugged into the Sys1 header and running at 100% even though it was set at 50% in the BIOS and in the Control Center software.

This is what I have tried since I got home:

-swapped splitters between headers both splitters work properly on the CPU header and neither worked correctly on the Sys1 header
-plugged a Corsair SP120 Performance PWM fan into both headers and it worked correctly on both
-plugged MCP35X pump into both headers and it was only controllable on the CPU header on Sys1 it would just run at 100%

Something else I noticed while testing. I disconnected all of the fans and noticed that the speed of my pump went up dramatically. It seems like the fans are putting quite a load on the powersupply, 12 .25A fans should only create 3 total amps and the 12V rail of my power supply is rated at 69A. The rest of my system was ideling when I did that so I doubt the rest of the components were sucking down 66 amps. I also checked the 12V rail voltage in HWmonitor and it is showing around 8.5V but in the MSI control center it shows 12V. Is that normal for these boards?

Software, as you are now noticing is not accurate. If your 12v rail was actually at 8.5v, I do not think your PC would be working period. ;)

So, all these fans are plugged in to how many headers on the motherboard? Like I said, I wouldn't go over 1A (or 3 fans) per header. Not sure that is the problem, but something to be aware of anyway.

The fans are all plugged into 2 splitters, one powered by a molex connector and one by a SATA connector. Both splitters are getting their PWM signal from a single header on the motherboard, the header on the motherboard is not supplying any power to the fans only PWM signal.

Perhaps that jacked up config is what is causing it? I don't know AS23, I am at a loss at this point. Sorry. :(

Back