• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Z97 with i7-4790k Build question(s)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
750Ti is ~$150 and will handle 3 monitors.
1080p gaming at moderate settings is easily doable with that GPU also.

Great...will check it out. Is it an EVGA brand? They make 4 versions of this 750Ti and they all seem to be about the same price now. Still looking for good case, and looking into Samsung SSD...EVO or Pro.

Last edited:
Great...will check it out. Is it an EVGA brand? They make 4 versions of this 750Ti and they all seem to be about the same price now. Still looking for good case, and looking into Samsung SSD...EVO or Pro.

I prefer the EVGA brand, yes. Lots of people make a 750Ti though.

For mid tower cases check out the Corsair Obsidian 450D.

Go for the EVO. I'd get at least 250GB.

I prefer the EVGA brand, yes. Lots of people make a 750Ti though.

For mid tower cases check out the Corsair Obsidian 450D.

Go for the EVO. I'd get at least 250GB.

Great, I looked at the EVGA brand and they make 4 of them. I guess the fastest 750ti they make is the EVGA GTX 750 Ti ACX FTW. Some have said the ACX can be noisy. I believe all 4 of these are about the same price but this one is the fastest.

I will look at the case, as well, and I "MAY" try a 500gb EVO SSD if the price makes sense!

The ACX is one of the best coolers I've used.
The FTW is the fastest though.

I've seen the 500GB EVO down around $220 quite frequently as of late, keep an eye out for a nice sale.

The ACX is one of the best coolers I've used.
The FTW is the fastest though.

I've seen the 500GB EVO down around $220 quite frequently as of late, keep an eye out for a nice sale.

Tes, they do have an ACX FTW, so would that be the way to go? I believe it is actually the EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti FTW w/ EVGA ACX Cooling

Part Number: 02G-P4-3757-KR and I believe Newegg has it for $139. Will look for SSD as well.

I may put this all in PCPart picker to see what I get. I do not have an ID tho.

Newegg has it for $140? That's great!

As long as you save the link you don't need an account.

Newegg has it for $140? That's great!

As long as you save the link you don't need an account.

OH, I did not know you could save anything without an account. OH, Newegg has the card for $149.99 - $10 rebate.

Well, I am building my list and like the Corsair Vengence Pro 2X8 1866 RAM.

One thing I never ran into was the suggestions to mount the CPU and Cooler BEFORE putting the MoBo into the case. I thought that was a no no as it is a lot of weight to add, but, aside from mounting the cooler bracket to the back of the CPU socket, can I then install the MoBo and still have room to mount the CPU and 212 Hyper EVO cooler?

Make sure that RAM will fit under the fan on the 212 EVO

If your case has a cutout in the motherboard tray just mount the cooler once the motherboard is in.

OK, I can see in pcpart picker if anyone else used that RAM and cooler, as I do not know just what the clearance is. I do know that the ASUS Z97 Pro does say to use the A2 and B2 slots first so that would leave room...at the possible expense of making the slot 1 and 3 useless. Also, does the Obsidian 450D have this cutout? The photo's do kind of show that it DOES.

Last edited:
The manufacturer's site should have clearance for the cooler and height of the RAM.

Yes, the 450D has the cutout.

So, here is what I have so far.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GqXPvK

Not sure of the HDD but I think I will get a WD Black 2TB.

Power Supply needs to be selected as well. I know 550W would be enough but the 750W EVGA and Corsair are only $10 more. I suppose if I go with the Corsair Case I may as well get their PS...or does that still not matter?

Back