• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Zalman CNPS5700D-Cu - VS - Vantec Aeroflow!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Larva's first post criticizing the review of this zalman duct setup contained useful criticism, which I found to be constructive.

These are public forums, and nobody owns a thread. there is no such thing as MY or YOUR thread.

Larva pointed out that in a cooler case, the zalman won't outperform or perform on par with the aeroflow.

52C is a very high case temperature. Many of us here would indeed encourage you to seek better case ventilation to bring that temperature down, regardless of what case you're using.

Many of us would still encourage you to seek better case ventilation to bring that temperature down, regardless of what HSF you're using.

Larva wrote:
it does its best when using its fan to crutch the case ventilation rather than blow on the heatsink

That's pretty much what your tests revealed: That the zalman performed best when it was directly ventilating the hot cpu air to the case exhaust...aka crutching the case ventilation...if the case was ventilated more efficiently, a the duct wouldn't make any difference.

It definitely looks like the zalman helps in poorly ventilated cases.

another thing that helps in poorly ventilated cases is improved ventilation by adding more and/or better fans.

in a well ventilated case, those other heatsinks you mentioned will probably outperform that zalman.

maybe you didn't like HOW larva said his piece, but if you read larva's piece for WHAT it says, WHAT it says is accurate.

Sit back and laugh it off dude. Don't take things so personally.

Larva is kinda fun to watch.

Get over it, he caught you with your "fans down".

~BdK

No, I think that is not right to say aeroflow performs bettern than zalman in a well ventilated system. Having experienced both a few days ago, I doubt aeroflow would perform bettern than zalman even in well ventilated system, not even to mention the loudness. Aeroflow isnt that good of performer nor silencer. To me a little better than a stock heatsink. I saw 5~7C, conservatively speaking, improvement from aeroflow to cu7000. My system does not have exhaust and intake fans installed, 300 watt single fan PSU(pretty hot), so it is pretty lousy.

Hmm, could it be whatever is registering the temp for ambient is in a poor location on the mobo? When im idle my case ambient temps is 30-35c...as soon as I load the CPU the case ambient goes up with the CPU, anyone know where the thermal diode is for the mobo's ambient temps on the Abit BE7? I am also hearing over at the ABIT forums about ALOT of people complaining of the temps reporting wrong on this mobo.

Can anyone explain why my ambients go up so much just with cpu load with the aeroflow but not with the zalman?

Also ran these tests with the case side OFF, so airflow is not an issue here, its raw performance and that Ambient goes up with the CPU temps. I think the diode is near the NB or something, weird

Last edited:
kslim said:
No, I think that is not right to say aeroflow performs bettern than zalman in a well ventilated system. Having experienced both a few days ago, I doubt aeroflow would perform bettern than zalman even in well ventilated system, not even to mention the loudness. Aeroflow isnt that good of performer nor silencer. To me a little better than a stock heatsink. I saw 5~7C, conservatively speaking, improvement from aeroflow to cu7000. My system does not have exhaust and intake fans installed, 300 watt single fan PSU(pretty hot), so it is pretty lousy.

Well Zalman themselves rates there heatsink at .27 to .37 C/W , and the fans dba ranging from 20 to 34dba. Which means that these numbers are probably a little low, since almost all manufactures will attempt to use the sneakiest advertising to lure the customer.

The aeroflow is rated at 30 c/w here at overclockers and the fan at fullspeed is 38dba. When turned down to 4000rpm it will run about 29-30dba and still push ~ 28cfm of air.

I HIGHLY doubt a 5c difference unless you installed the aeroflow wrong as the c/w ratings are to close to be able to vary that much.

DipStickTony said:

Well Zalman themselves rates there heatsink at .27 to .37 C/W , and the fans dba ranging from 20 to 34dba. Which means that these numbers are probably a little low, since almost all manufactures will attempt to use the sneakiest advertising to lure the customer.

The aeroflow is rated at 30 c/w here at overclockers and the fan at fullspeed is 38dba. When turned down to 4000rpm it will run about 29-30dba and still push ~ 28cfm of air.

I HIGHLY doubt a 5c difference unless you installed the aeroflow wrong as the c/w ratings are to close to be able to vary that much.

Agreed again, the CPU temps are about the same on both HS's in my system, the only big difference it made for me was the ambient temps went down in my case for obvious reasons. I think the Zalman is ahead of the Aeroflow now for CPU temps by 1c.

chasingapple said:
Can anyone explain why my ambients go up so much just with cpu load with the aeroflow but not with the zalman?

[/B]

This is what I think the problem of Aeroflow. Aeroflow blows pretty hot air directly to the mobo(You can feel the heat by touching the vicinity of socket). That heats up the mobo. Also if the die is hot(heasink not absorbing the sufficient heat from the die), it conducts heat to mobo. Once your mobo is hot, it is hard to cool it down in a "lousy" vented system. Even if your air is cool, your diode would still reads hot, as well as many components on the system. Only remedy is to flow lots of extra air to cool them down, which of course doesnt come free.

kslim said:

This is what I think the problem of Aeroflow. Aeroflow blows pretty hot air directly to the mobo(You can feel the heat by touching the vicinity of socket). That heats up the mobo. Also if the die is hot(heasink not absorbing the sufficient heat from the die), it conducts heat to mobo. Once your mobo is hot, it is hard to cool it down in a "lousy" vented system. Even if your air is cool, your diode would still reads hot, as well as many components on the system. Only remedy is to flow lots of extra air to cool them down, which of course doesnt come free.

Still, I think it is a mobo problem, cause I tried both HS's with the case wide open...ambient climbs just as much leading me to thinking the mobo temp just goes up when the cpu does, 1st mobo I have ever seen do this. Other boards I have had over the years...Abit bh6, abit st6-raid, abit kr7a-raid, abit kt7...none of them had ambients climb like this be7 mobo does, hehe. Same house, same temps in house.

Some mobo have thermal senson near where VRM is at, like mine(Albatron). Then, you would end up higher system temp reading, regardless of real air temp. But that shouldnt matter, as long as you can run your system stably.

kslim said:
Some mobo have thermal senson near where VRM is at, like mine(Albatron). Then, you would end up higher system temp reading, regardless of real air temp. But that shouldnt matter, as long as you can run your system stably.

Oh yeah, not 1 crash...solid as a rock folding 2 days straight. Prime 95 for 12 hours too. Temps dont bother me too much, as long as I know the airflow is good I dont care what the board is telling me, I know its cooler in there :D

another temp probe

well, i guess we'll all never know the real case temps here until and unless chasingapple installs another temp probe, or runs this zalman on a different mobo.

-BdK

QUOTE***Hmm, could it be whatever is registering the temp for ambient is in a poor location on the mobo? When im idle my case ambient temps is 30-35c...as soon as I load the CPU the case ambient goes up with the CPU, anyone know where the thermal diode is for the mobo's ambient temps on the Abit BE7? I am also hearing over at the ABIT forums about ALOT of people complaining of the temps reporting wrong on this mobo.

Also ran these tests with the case side OFF, so airflow is not an issue here, its raw performance and that Ambient goes up with the CPU temps. I think the diode is near the NB or something, weird.....................................////
I had to laugh as you asked this question.....the guy who knows the answer to the question you just asked....is LARVA !!!!
(he's got the same board too...)

preacher said:
QUOTE***Hmm, could it be whatever is registering the temp for ambient is in a poor location on the mobo? When im idle my case ambient temps is 30-35c...as soon as I load the CPU the case ambient goes up with the CPU, anyone know where the thermal diode is for the mobo's ambient temps on the Abit BE7? I am also hearing over at the ABIT forums about ALOT of people complaining of the temps reporting wrong on this mobo.

Also ran these tests with the case side OFF, so airflow is not an issue here, its raw performance and that Ambient goes up with the CPU temps. I think the diode is near the NB or something, weird.....................................////
I had to laugh as you asked this question.....the guy who knows the answer to the question you just asked....is LARVA !!!!
(he's got the same board too...)

Heh, and Larva never bothered to ask me if I opened the case up and watched the temps, pitty. Well like I said not going to worry about it, new case in a few days since my brother in law wants this one (cool blue) for his duron system, and Im going to take my server case and rebuild this one with an ever better wiring job.

Oh my house is freezing this morning cause of our weather today here in Vegas so my temps are 29c Ambient, 35c Idle CPU 42c Load. Tested it with a little Folding this morning :D

God I wish my house didnt dictate my temps this much, lol.

CA, I'm liking your experiments, but your temps would be a little less confusing to me if you used standard nomenclature.

ambient = room temperature
motherboard = on board temp sensor

Joe_Atlanta said:
CA, I'm liking your experiments, but your temps would be a little less confusing to me if you used standard nomenclature.

ambient = room temperature
motherboard = on board temp sensor

Sorry mate, for the previous posts rename Ambient to Mobo :D I will do that from now on.

Hehe, I'm a little obsessed with ambient since spring has arrived in GA. My room temp has climbed and even in my well ventilated case, so have my mobo and cpu temps. I'm looking at another month before it gets warm enough to crank up the a/c.

So far, I've had to drop my O/C by nearly 100mhz to keep my cpu temps down to my target area (sub 40C as reported by socket thermistor). I have gotten my dremel out and should have a new side fan hole to duct air straight to HS/F in the next day or so. Starting to hear the siren call of H2O.;)

Joe_Atlanta said:
Hehe, I'm a little obsessed with ambient since spring has arrived in GA. My room temp has climbed and even in my well ventilated case, so have my mobo and cpu temps. I'm looking at another month before it gets warm enough to crank up the a/c.

So far, I've had to drop my O/C by nearly 100mhz to keep my cpu temps down to my target area (sub 40C as reported by socket thermistor). I have gotten my dremel out and should have a new side fan hole to duct air straight to HS/F in the next day or so. Starting to hear the siren call of H2O.;)

Same here, some people just dont understand that you can have all the airflow in the world and still have high ambient temp readings cause of the room temps. We already hit 93 F outside here in Vegas! Not going to run the air conditioning just yet though, it cooled off today, but when we do it will be set @ 75 F all summer long so I should have a stable mobo and cpu temp.

Back