• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Zalman CNPS9900MAX-R vs CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo (NOT Plus)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sokar408

Registered
Whatup everyone

I was wondering if I could get an objective opinion on this. From I what I can gather people seem to stand by the Hyper 212 "Plus", almost purely because it is cheaper, and because CoolerMaster has a way better reputation these days.

However everywhere I look the Zalman cools better, is a lot less noisy, but costs a bit more.

However the what about the "Evo"? The reason I ask is that where I'm situationed there is no price difference between the Hyper 212 Plus and the Zalman CNP9900MAX-R, but the Evo is about 10$ bucks cheaper then both.

It must be said though, that I will gladly spend 10$ more for less noise and 1-2 degrees of cooling, if that is what the Zalman will get me. So the question is, as far as you know, will that be the case?

What do you expect from cooler? What processor do you have and what are your overclocking aims?

No price difference? Its double the cost in stores. The zalman should be quieter and cool better than both... at least, it damn well better for being double the price. Check out some reviews online. Here, we reviewed that zalman I believe...

What do you expect from cooler? What processor do you have and what are your overclocking aims?

I expect it to keep my Intel Core i7 3770K cold, and yes I expect it to stand up to some OC'ing. I'm not a mad clocker though, I have no problems settling for 4.0 GHz if necessary.

No price difference? Its double the cost in stores. The zalman should be quieter and cool better than both... at least, it damn well better for being double the price. Check out some reviews online. Here, we reviewed that zalman I believe...

Where are the reviews? I have read tons and tons, and in everyone of them, the Zalman is 5-10 dBA below the Hyper, and is 1-3 degrees cooler. And yes believe it or not, in Denmark the Hyper 212 PLUS costs the same as the Zalman, however like I said the Evo is considerably cheaper.

Regardless, money isn't so important, I just want to verify that the Zalman is indeed better, albeit not enough for most to spend the extra 10 bucks?

EDIT: Found the reviews, very informative!

Last edited:
The Evo is the update to the Plus, performs slightly better due to a smoother base. It's usually more expensive, odd that it's cheaper over there.

The Evo is the update to the Plus, performs slightly better due to a smoother base. It's usually more expensive, odd that it's cheaper over there.

Ahh nice. I have actually been thinking about going Hyper 212 Evo, but with another, quieter, fan like the Cooler Master Excalibur or something like that. Any thoughts on that and also, do you think putting 2 fans on the Hyper 212 will make any difference?

Last edited:
I expect it to keep my Intel Core i7 3770K cold, and yes I expect it to stand up to some OC'ing. I'm not a mad clocker though, I have no problems settling for 4.0 GHz if necessary.

I think for that CPU and level of overclocking you would be fine with the cheaper cooler from your options and the heatink fan on low settings or using the fan silencer adapter that I think come with the coolermaster heat sinks. But I am by no means an experienced overclocker so don't quote me on this.

From this review the Zalman only cools slightly better (less than a 1 degree) but is 7 dB louder than than the Evo. Considering the price difference it seems like an easy choice.

Back