• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 3570k OC at 4.5GHz but seems too hot...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jacobseo

Registered
Hi I'm very new at overclocking right now
I followed the guide on how to overclock to 4.5GHz

But as u see in the picture my temp is around 90c
and its one of the cores that exceptionally hot
I'm not sure what I'm suppose to do to fix this
From what i read, other people are getting around 70c
Did I do something wrong?

My current set up is:
CPU:i5 3570K
Cooling: CM Hyper 212 EVO
Mobo: MSI Z77A-GD65
GPU:ASUS Geforce GTX 670 2GB
Geforce 9600GT for Phyx
Power: Corsair CX600
Memory: Corsair 2x4GB 1600mHz

Attachments

• OC 4.5GHz.jpg
    OC 4.5GHz.jpg
    571.9 KB · Views: 422
Not all CPU's are created equal, my 3770K ran up to 83C with a Corsair H100 running @ 4.5ghz and 1.224v, considering you're pushing higher volts and on air, your temps don't seem wrong.

You could try resitting the Heatsink with high quality TIM.

You're just at your cooler's thermal limit. The 212 is a very good budget cooler, but it's just not up to the task of Ivy's high heat output. I've got a very similar system (Z77A-GD65 + 3770k) which I'm currently running at 4.6 1.28v. My full load folding temp is about 73c with ambient temps at 26c using a Corsair H100. The 3770k is actually a hotter chip than the 3570k due to hyper threading adding a little more heat.

I also have a question on reducing voltages
Since with my current voltage my temp is realetivly high so i would like to reduce the voltage
So I reduce voltage by 0.05~0.1 i test it with prime95 for half an hour
and if nothing bad happens I reduce voltage again by 0.05~0.1
Is this step ok to do? or should I increase the time testing with prime95

I personally use increments of 0.025v when I try to find a stable OC. I also test prime for at least 12 hours to make sure it's completely stable with blend to test the memory as well. fft is used more to find the highest temp the CPU will put out.

I would say test runs of 1 hour, if it doesn't crash try a lower voltage until it crashes, once it crashes increase it to the last stable and run for 12 hours, if it crashes, then it needs a bit more voltage, but ussually about a .01v increase should be enough.

how does this look now?
this is after about an hour of prime 95
I'm thinking of putting another fan to the hyper 212 evo to do push/pull

Attachments

• OC 4.5GHz(1).jpg
    OC 4.5GHz(1).jpg
    474.4 KB · Views: 290
You don't list the case you have in your 1st post. How is the air flow in the case and where is it located, it makes a difference. Also I had a 3c temperature difference when adding a second fan in push/pull with my CM 212 on my I5-2500k.

what is your PLL volts at? looks like 2v within hwmonitor, but that doesn't sound right. try lowering PLL to 1.7 and see if that helps temps and keeps you stable.

Back