• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Northbridge too damn hot to touch!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

theking213

Hey guys, i'm having some serious issues with my PC. my TMPIN0 temp is always at 90c+, I figured this was the northbridge because when I put my finger on it, I can't hold hold on to it for more than 2 secs! My PC is a m7720 with a 850w PSU and a hyper 212 evo cpu cooler.

So this is what i'm getting from HWMonitor:
THRM = 22c
TMPIN0= 92c
TMPIN1=44c
TMPIN2 - 22c

all the cores are around 40c.

Can someone please help me out with this? why is this thing so damn hot :(

It would be nice to know what Motherboard we are dealing with and also your CPU please??? Then the members can look in and maybe help you!!

AJ.

It would be nice to know what Motherboard we are dealing with and also your CPU please??? Then the members can look in and maybe help you!!

AJ.

Hi yes sorry, my CPU is an i7 920 at 2.66ghz and the motherboard i'm not too sure, it's a standard micro-ATX motherboard (X-58 socket 1366).

Edit: The motherboard is actually an acer fx58m

How much memory do you have installed in it? How is the airflow in the case? Seems like a store bought system, right? About the only thing you can do, if this is really a problem, is to get another heatsink for it or correct/add some airflow in your case.

Top/Rear = exhaust
Front/sides = intake.

Wait, why are you mentioning core temps? Those are not the issue here... it is your NB, right?

Also, please host internally. 3rd party images go away, and I personally cannot see them from the office. ;)

OCFinsertimages.png

Sorry, i'm missing that option, maybe this works:
nieuwecomputer046yn3.jpg

Also my cpu fan (hyper evo 212) is only running at 500rpm, could this be causing the issue?

Yeah you're right, the NB is the issue (or I think it is, I am referring to that metal thing just below the fan you see in the diagram (above the GPU)).

Well, it was getting too hot so I got an old CPU Cooler, stuck it above the thing (resting on the graphics card) with some duct tape and it's now keep it cool at around 50c. This will have to do until I get a new mobo or something.

You desperately need an intake fan my friend. 1 exhaust fan + any kind of performance = high temps, no matter what you do.

That thing is really cramped anyway, perhaps think about getting a different case? Not horribly expensive, and you can get something that works and looks better.

Yeah you're right :( I'm thinking of just building a new PC tbh. Can you recommend any good motherboards which are compatible with the i7 920? I know it's a bad chip but i'm trying to save money and get a good GPU instead.

Back