• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU coins (XPM/PTS)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
when i try and run the metis miner from ypool, i get this error...
The login is configured for an unsupported algorithm.
Make sure you miner login details are correct

and my .bat file looks like this
xptMiner.exe -o ypool.net -u dyckah.metis -p x -t 4
pause
that is one of my workers names though, not sure whats going on there...

when i try and run the metis miner from ypool, i get this error...
The login is configured for an unsupported algorithm.
Make sure you miner login details are correct

and my .bat file looks like this

that is one of my workers names though, not sure whats going on there...

weird, mine looks the same and it works, just reconnected to make sure

or you can try a bit later :) but then again this MTC is a vegas play, it may not amount to anything at all

My PTS trial went alright. I was doing about 275CPM or so (1 i7 4770 stock, haswell miner from ypool, hugepages enabled), which was earning about $1/day over the past 48 hours. With Doge surging, that is about 66% of potential earnings (100kh/s hashrate for scrypt/Doge), but compared to LTC mining PTS on the CPU is 10-20% more profitable right now. When Doge dies down, I'll have to rerun the numbers for PTS with the latest difficulty and exchange rates, and see which will work out better then.

or you can try a bit later :) but then again this MTC is a vegas play, it may not amount to anything at all

Vegas plays aren't such a bad option either really. I have a friend with two heavy hitting multi-GPU miners and a pretty smart approach... Instead of mining wherever is most profitable currently, he sometimes does that, but often mines where its not profitable at all.

He monitors cryptocurrency developments and puts the miners on select low hashrate cryptocurrencies, where mining rewards are huge with solo mining even but the coins are relatively worthless currently. This gets him a ton of coins in a weeks worth of mining, because his share of the hashrate is very considerable... Those coins may be worthless, but he does this often enough that he has a pretty sizeable stash in many different coins and he continues to build stashes of new coins. Some day, if one or two of those coins actually gains real value - he'll be sitting on a huge stash before its already popular and mining is relatively slow.

Basically, he's making the bet that by spending mining regularly on worthless coins that may be gain popularity in the distant future... He could end up with a stash similar to the current situation of having 10's of thousands of BTC. He's got a really good job making good money, so making an extra $100-200 bucks a day mining the most profitable coin doesn't change his life... But if one of the coins he built a stash of shoots to popularity some day 5 years down the road, millions of dollars changes anybody's life. :)

Kind of like the lottery, but with better odds of winning really (IMO).

well I do like Vegas ;) why im mining MTC for one, but more importantly why I occasionally still try to solo mine EAC :) when diff is low, it may just hit
Id try more solo mining too, but sadly with 1.9mhs split across several machines its not really that great, In my experience each card seems to mine separately so the total hash is just an improvement of odds, but bigger cards will always do better
worst part though, making even $30 a day changes my life :( so I have to balance things out, I have to try to mine something constant as well as play for Vegas

well I do like Vegas ;) why im mining MTC for one, but more importantly why I occasionally still try to solo mine EAC :) when diff is low, it may just hit
Id try more solo mining too, but sadly with 1.9mhs split across several machines its not really that great, In my experience each card seems to mine separately so the total hash is just an improvement of odds, but bigger cards will always do better
worst part though, making even $30 a day changes my life :( so I have to balance things out, I have to try to mine something constant as well as play for Vegas

/me wants to mine $30/day

Yeah, I stopped EAC mining. ~12-20 hours gave me 1000 EAC. Gonna sell it on craptsy.

Now, on topic. Should I consider cpu mining again? 0.00077443 BTC/day is my cpu XPM mining.

me wants $30/day too Silver, I dont have it yet, Im working towards it :)

well with the rates being what they are, it may not be really worth it, you may try MTC, but its a shot in the dark like we've been discussing, think about it this way -are you gpu mining on that rig non stop ? then why not cpu mine, the diff in power consumption wont be huge

me wants $30/day too Silver, I dont have it yet, Im working towards it :)

well with the rates being what they are, it may not be really worth it, you may try MTC, but its a shot in the dark like we've been discussing, think about it this way -are you gpu mining on that rig non stop ? then why not cpu mine, the diff in power consumption wont be huge

~300 watts full tilt GPU+CPU.....

I've dialed in my 6850 to get 280 Kh on the nose, while the rig draws 1.85 Amps.

Idle is 0.45 Amps, so my 6850 draws 1.4 amps = 168 Watts :eek:

I dont even worry about the short term profitability of CPU coins. its not worth the effort IMO. i just mine for a few months, then wait for a bubble to exchange the lot.

i did notice something today though. ive always had stability issues. but couldnt figure out why. (mainly driver crashes, sometimes many per hour, sometimes itll go hours). so today i saw that the GPU activity of the 7950 was bouncing around between 80-99%, obviously affecting the hashrate. but it didnt do this during testing. hmm.

i narrowed it down to the PTS miner causing interference. and the PTS miner was only using 3/4 cores. stopped the miner, all the problems went away. solid 99%, restarted the miner, boom, problems again. so i dropped the PTS miner to use 2/4 cores (with more mem) and the problem went away. no more fluctuating GPU1 activity. and it so far SEEMS more stable.

I dont even worry about the short term profitability of CPU coins. its not worth the effort IMO. i just mine for a few months, then wait for a bubble to exchange the lot.

i did notice something today though. ive always had stability issues. but couldnt figure out why. (mainly driver crashes, sometimes many per hour, sometimes itll go hours). so today i saw that the GPU activity of the 7950 was bouncing around between 80-99%, obviously affecting the hashrate. but it didnt do this during testing. hmm.

i narrowed it down to the PTS miner causing interference. and the PTS miner was only using 3/4 cores. stopped the miner, all the problems went away. solid 99%, restarted the miner, boom, problems again. so i dropped the PTS miner to use 2/4 cores (with more mem) and the problem went away. no more fluctuating GPU1 activity. and it so far SEEMS more stable.

Odd that less core is better for you.
But hey! It works right? :beer:

well everyone says to leave one core for cgminer. but i guess 2 is better. i had the same issue on 2 separate systems too.

obviously im taking the hit on PTS performance. but its more worth it to keep my GPU performance up.

Right there with you! Our budget hasn't ever been tighter than it is right now so while I'm trying to increase my holdings and I haven't actually cashed anything out, the btc/ltc is a bit if a security blanket - I would cash it out before we have to dip into our savings, but hopefully it doesn't get to that.

Back