• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD pencil trick?????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nobby the Sheep

I have got an AMD thunderbird 1.2ghz cpu and want to over clock it, my present mobo locks out when i overclock in the bios, I have heard about the pencil trick but dont know any more than it is done on these cpus. I wanna know more but cant find the info, can anyone help?

Look on your cpu, and find the L1 briges, once you
locate them connect the parallel dots together, with
a pencil. It would be better to use a trace pen, or
window defogger kit than to use a pencil.

See The Pic Below, all of the L1's are connected
together. Be very careful to not cross the bridges,
and to only short out the one directly above it.

Dont worry about those wierd chips, the cpu in the
pic is a duron, basically the same thing.

Finally unlocked my Tbird only a few days ago and was quite suprised at how easy it was...
I used an old No. 2 pencil and sharpened it to a fine point with some sandpaper...My eyes are poor, so I used a jeweler's loop and had to do it a couple of times before I was satisfied...Installed and fired up just fine and now I have full access to all my OC options...The old 1000 is now happily flying at 1210...I'm still a little nervous, but know there must be more in there...Hmmmm...
Too much fun...:D :D

DAGO said:
Finally unlocked my Tbird only a few days ago and was quite suprised at how easy it was...
I used an old No. 2 pencil and sharpened it to a fine point with some sandpaper...My eyes are poor, so I used a jeweler's loop and had to do it a couple of times before I was satisfied...Installed and fired up just fine and now I have full access to all my OC options...The old 1000 is now happily flying at 1210...I'm still a little nervous, but know there must be more in there...Hmmmm...
Too much fun...:D :D

Yes sir, there may well be more in there. Check the sig :)

Depends on the stepping on the cpu.
I hate my stepping on mine...
It was the best when I got it...
AGKGA Y....
Stupid stepping...:(

Not at all sure about the stepping AVIA...How good or bad it is, I have no clue...Thought I was doing OK until I see Luta Wicasa's sig and nearly fell over...
Yep, it appears that there may be a "smidgeon" more in there...:D

Back