• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Building PWM Controller for 4 wires PWM fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
By the way gentlemen, If you could kindly look over my ghetto mockup of my PCB layout and see if you can catch any errors.

My brain is rather fried right now from being at work. I'd be much appreciated.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I like it!

As a general rule you want the decoupling caps (the 10uf and 0.1uf from vcc to gnd) as close to the vcc pin of the IC as possible. Some chips are laid out in such a way that it's very awkward! That looks great though, I like the cable strain relief too, that's often forgotten.

Thanks! My second revision w/kick start I made today(just finished testing it now) is much cleaner than the one above. I utilized more of the bus tracks on the underside of the board so wires aren't showing everywhere. The first I did with wires bc it was easier to visualize the layout.

My second revision despite adding the kick start to the pcb is more compact than my original(above), shredded off .5in of fat... And I'm not talking about cutting of the pcb. The components are just packed in such a manner that it utilizes as little space as possible.

By the way I have an electrical question, and since I'm not about to experiment with my recent build bc I care not to have to debug it again... Is the order of components relative to one another on the 5v rail important?

For example can u place the c3 and c4 before reset and before VCC or do they have to be specifically in the order layed out in the diagram. Ie Reset->VCC-> c3-> c4. I found out by experimenting today that you can place any component to ground in whatever random order u wanted this is one of the things that helped me shrink my circuit down

Last edited:
Doesn't matter much. Ideally you want the caps close to the VCC pin and between it and the source of the power. I doubt you'd have issues even if you left them off entirely in this situation, but it's a good habit.

The only reason for that is that high frequency AC (radio interference, that sort of thing) doesn't behave anything like nice normal DC does, component placement starts to make a serious difference in that world.

Question, for the basic 556 circuit, what's the purpose of R1 the 1k resistor located right before the diodes? I'm running simulations of the circuit and I only see a slight change in the oscilloscope output, mind u this is virtual aka a simulation program ie iCircuit for iPad so I'm unsure of how real world accurate this app is. So far it's bee very accurate, even ccounts for voltage drop from transistors ect pretty cool I'd say.

been build the kick-start on the perf. board and it's really kick @SS, but constantly hitting the wall with the kick-start circuit on the fabricated PCB :bang head

edit:
somehow I mix up my N and P resistor....
now all the kick-started PCBs are running okay :thup:

but frankly speaking, I love the current dimension for my 2-98 w/o the kick-start circuit :chair:

tr9xrs4qv9nqce2vopnd.jpg

Last edited:
What is this wall you speak of? Ps is your 5v rail running to your kick start portion? I neglected to pass the 5v line to the kick start and just feed it the reset line and the ground... That lead to some very strange behavior

sorry for my confusing term :D
I mean I never able to make the kick-start functioning on the fabricated PCB :cry:
yes, I can make the circuit work okay if I pass the kick-start circuit, but that was not I wanted to do :-/

and after I build the 0-100% on the fab PCB, somehow I felt the 2-98 version is giving me a better scaling control for my Delta PFC.
while on the perf. board, the 0-100% was clearly the winner @.@

but to be fair, I should give the 0-100% a better layout though :)

I didn't mean bypass the kick start, I mean supply it with the 5v rail. I forgot to do this in my initial testing and the the kick start didn't operate properly. That dual 555 circuit is a bit confusing to read for those who aren't accustomed to reading. Diagrams using that interface. Also why is one circuit a dual 555 and the other a single 556(tracing that one is SUPER confusing lol)

let's forget the kick-start problem that I've got....

now, here's what I really like from the PCB that I received today :D

oqa0sh21ealt07p5fjse.jpg

hey, I can write some strings on the bottom trace, which I totally forgotten before :rofl:

I'll be sure to send one to you Bing :salute:
but after I manage to populate them with components :chair: :D

Call me crazy, but why haven't forums adopted the "like" feature common to Facebook? Lol I just tried to "like" the above post, no such luck!

Kick Start feature video

Ok, got a short spare time this weekend, made a video explaining the mechanism of kickstart in the pwm controller.

Make sure you turned ON the YouTube "annotation" at the status bar when watching this video !

Hope you find it useful.

PS : Not all pwm fan can be stopped at 0% duty cycle.

Last edited:
Hi all there. I am new here and new to electronics. I want to know the difference between "555" & "555 CMOS" and between "TLC556" & "NE556N".
I have "NE556N" timer so can I use this IC?
Regards

NE556N is the one I used. I think they're different etching processes mainly.
In any case the NE556N is perfect.

Hi all there. I am new here and new to electronics. I want to know the difference between "555" & "555 CMOS" and between "TLC556" & "NE556N".
I have "NE556N" timer so can I use this IC?
Regards

At least u bothered to ask, I'm to impatient and just about a bunch of each n figured it out later... Well no not really, cuz the xx556x i chose the first time worked the first time so idk what the others do.

Anyway 555cmos = low power consumption version for the most part. It obviously goes further than that.

Google is your friend sir|:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMOS

Last edited:
Back