• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best way to lower the ambient temperature?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

markp1989

not sure if this is in the right section.

i have my desktop, and my htpc/server and tv in the same room, when folding, on both pcs, and watching tv, when the suns out, it gets very hot in this room (some times it hits 30C), which makes me melt (and my temps warmer then i would like).

i cant aford 2 buy or run air conditioning, so im looking for some ways to cool the room down

i thought about putting a few 200mm fans on a sheet of ply wood in the window opening, blowing outwards making the room negative presure, causing air to come through the door

window faces west and gets all the heat in the afternoon, so im not sure how effective this would be.

any tips you would recomend?

thanks, mark

Some people lay their cases on their side, that can help lower the temperature. Just make sure there's nothing the disc trays!

Stock clock and under volt the CPU and Video card. Set your HDD to power down after a couple of minutes. This will help. If you have a few bucks you can make a window exhaust for them as well.

not sure if this is in the right section.

i have my desktop, and my htpc/server and tv in the same room, when folding, on both pcs, and watching tv, when the suns out, it gets very hot in this room (some times it hits 30C), which makes me melt (and my temps warmer then i would like).

i cant aford 2 buy or run air conditioning, so im looking for some ways to cool the room down

i thought about putting a few 200mm fans on a sheet of ply wood in the window opening, blowing outwards making the room negative presure, causing air to come through the door

window faces west and gets all the heat in the afternoon, so im not sure how effective this would be.

any tips you would recomend?

thanks, mark

You can buy ready made window fans with adjustable panels that plug into your wall socket and they aren't very expensive. Why go to all the trouble to make your own out of 200mm PC case fans and plywood which is probably more expensive anyway and not as aesthetic or effective in moving air? Unless you already have the materials on hand, of course.

open your case cover and get a box fan blow directly into your case.:)

+1 on that idea. I did that when it was hot as a mother a few days ago.

also a box fan in the window is extremely effective, especially in my room that somehow manages to stay 10 to 15 degrees warmer than the rest of the house...

open your case cover and get a box fan blow directly into your case.:)

also a box fan in the window is extremely effective, especially in my room that somehow manages to stay 10 to 15 degrees warmer than the rest of the house...

How does this evacuate the heat from the room that the OP was asking about?

Stock clock and under volt the CPU and Video card. Set your HDD to power down after a couple of minutes. This will help. If you have a few bucks you can make a window exhaust for them as well.

He wont be wanting to do that if he is Folding on the computer,

But the window Fan is good idea to expel the heat from room,

thanks for all the replys :)

Some people lay their cases on their side, that can help lower the temperature. Just make sure there's nothing the disc trays!
I cannot lay the pc down on its side as the restop/pump will be the wrong way up.

thanks, i really wana aviod turning down my oc, but i will do it as a last resort. if i wanst folding, i would under clock everything.

You can buy ready made window fans with adjustable panels that plug into your wall socket and they aren't very expensive. Why go to all the trouble to make your own out of 200mm PC case fans and plywood which is probably more expensive anyway and not as aesthetic or effective in moving air? Unless you already have the materials on hand, of course.
i didnt know they made box window fans, i googled around , and the 1s i have found have been in america, does any one know any sites/places i can get a box/window fan in the uk?

if cant get 1, i will probably use 1 of the cheap clip on room fans , and just peg it to the window, and use towels to block the gaps around the fan, or somthing else i have around the house, because i thought more about making 1, and plywood can be expensive, and i have no cutting tools or anything.

adding another fan blowing into the case wouldnt do alot as all the vital parts are water cooled. with the radiator hanging of the back of the case.

i forgot to add in the op, that i have a emersion heater in here for the hot water, it is insulated, but it must make a difference.

im gona have to give the window fan ago, my room is like you described, it is warmer then the rest of the house by alot (dont know how much, i havnt measured the rest of the house) all i know is that when i walk in the room, i feel the hot air hit me as i enter.

He wont be wanting to do that if he is Folding on the computer,

But the window Fan is good idea to expel the heat from room,

Thanks for all replys, im gona see if i can find a box fan cheap that will fit in my windows openings. hoping to do exaust , as the hall way is cooler then this room, and i dont wana bring bugs in the window.

... I really wish the message box was bigger when multi quoting!....

Back