• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Rampage IV Extreme PCIE Lane Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zmagicoder

Registered
I have a very annoying problem: the 2nd PCIE lane (red lane when counting from the top) DOES NOT WORK, to the best of my knowledge.

LGA 2011 and i7-3930K supports up to 40 PCIE 3.0 lanes, correct? If so, reffering to the attached picture, my system configuration uses, assuming all devices run on PCIE 3.0, 38 lanes, which is below the supported limit.

Keeping that into consideration, maybe the Live Gamer HD and/or the Sound Card is not x1, but I am pretty sure they are.

Does anyone have an idea as to what is going wrong? All PCIE lanes are enabled. Would it be possible to make all the lanes only run on 2.0 standard (specifically the graphics cards)?

I hope the lane just isn't broken...

Thanks!

Attachments

• layout.jpg
    layout.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 10,185
Slot 3 is probably disabled. You can't use the x1 slot either. Your config is slots 1, 2, 4, and 6 in x16, x8, x8, x8 as you have those four populated. It's in the manual.

Is your audio working? If so, and the card doesn't work, it may have fired up that one instead and slot 2 is disabled. Try removing that to see if it comes up.

Last edited:
AFAIK Railgun is right.

The black slot is only for equal width tri sli (3 slot cards) even though you can use the first three red slots for tri with 2 slot cards. The second red slot is termed slot 2A. the black slot is termed 2B. One disables the other. You cannot use both.

Even though they are not plugged into PCIe slots other devices on your mobo use PCIe lanes, like USB3, 6GB SATA, and sound. Not all PCIe lanes are assigned to graphics.

Back